Thread: Furniture Reconditioning

Feedback Score

Default Furniture Reconditioning

Being here in merry old England, gun parts are alittle bit harder to purchase/import. Although you can buy active weapons most collectors are happier with deatived weapons.

I'm currently looking to compliment my Russian Arms collection with a AK47/AKM and a RPK.

Now most of the RPK's I've seen the furniture is alittle bit scruffy, are they wooden furniture parts easy enough to rub down and revarnish?

and what product/s gives the most original colour to the wood items as I have seen a few RPKs with darker furniture which doesnt look right

cheers

The Russian Collection: Mosin Nagant Carbine, Tokarev SVT40, Simonov SKS45, RPD, Romak3 PSL - RPK coming soon...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

There are many different ways to get the finish you want.

Start with country of origin. If Romanian or Soviet, the final finish is shellac. If Yugoslavian, linseed oil.

For color, I use RIT (fabric) dye, extracting the color with alcohol and filtering through a coffee filter. My son wanted his Romanian AKM done in a brownish-red, so I used red, yellow and brown dye, mixing them in different proportions until we got the look he wanted.

The stock was prepared by using alcohol and steel wool to strip the shellac, then several trips through the dishwasher to clean and bleach the wood to a reddish-blonde color.

Do a search on finishes, you'll find a lot of info and techniques.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

cheers, thats really helpful

The Russian Collection: Mosin Nagant Carbine, Tokarev SVT40, Simonov SKS45, RPD, Romak3 PSL - RPK coming soon...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the tips

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Be careful if you use a dishwasher. I'm a single parent, so no SO getting angry with me, plus any stock stamps will tend to disappear due to the steaming action of the dishwasher.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I did use boiling water in bath tub, or plastic container.I works fine.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.