Thread: Furniture ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Furniture ?

Does anyone know a quick easy way to shim or possibly make the wood swell on a lower Romy G foregrip thats mounted on a AKM? I bought the set from a member,and I'm very happy with all of it - but the back end/end closest to you when the rifle is pointed down range, doesn't fit tight enough as not to have a slight wobble to it - there was some front to back play, but I cut a small diameter o ring and used it in between the front holder and the wood before locking it down and that worked just fine - no so on the back end. Any idea's guys ???
    Don't run away - you'll only die tired...

Feedback Score

You could glass bed it but be sure to use release agent (wax) on the metal part so it can be removed when desired. In this case a coating of resine on the cleaned, bare wood should be sufficient. Don't let the resine drip into the action.

VD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    You could glass bed it but be sure to use release agent (wax) on the metal part so it can be removed when desired. In this case a coating of resine on the cleaned, bare wood should be sufficient. Don't let the resine drip into the action.

VD
    Viper Dude, thanks for the info - but that all sounds a bit over my head, I've got 32 years as an industrial electrician/hydralic mech. - but don't know shit about wood or working with it - I was hoping someone had a simple fix that I wouldn't have to spend much $$$ on or go to school an take a class to figure out - but thanks again for your input...

Feedback Score

Simpler is better !!!

Use super glue to stick some strips of thick paper (business card, etc) to the wood tab that goes into the AK receiver pocket. Be sure to clean off old varnish, grease and crap from the tab so the glue and cardboard or paper sticks OK.

I'd place the glued part into a sandwich bag and then clamp the glued area with some clothespins etc to ensure a snug fit. The bag is supposed to keep your clothespins from being glued to the work.

When dried hard, remove the clothespins and bag. Add some more super glue to the paper shim to soak it well. Let that dry for a day or three.

If it is a bit too tight a fit... sand a little off.

VD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Simpler is better !!!

Use super glue to stick some strips of thick paper (business card, etc) to the wood tab that goes into the AK receiver pocket. Be sure to clean off old varnish, grease and crap from the tab so the glue and cardboard or paper sticks OK.

I'd place the glued part into a sandwich bag and then clamp the glued area with some clothespins etc to ensure a snug fit. The bag is supposed to keep your clothespins from being glued to the work.

When dried hard, remove the clothespins and bag. Add some more super glue to the paper shim to soak it well. Let that dry for a day or three.

If it is a bit too tight a fit... sand a little off.

VD
    Thanks Viper Dude, now thats a plan I think I can handle - sounds like a good idea - a card looks like it just might be the perfect fit, and soaking it afterwards so it can be sanded is a cool idea...

Feedback Score

I've used 5 minute epoxy and then filed to a nice tight fit.

Feedback Score

Go to any parts supply like NAPA, Carquest etc. Pick up some aluminum tape. Degrease the portion of the wood that slides into the receiver. Cut a strip that will wrap around the wood portion (U shaped). You can adjust the thickness to take up the slack. You may have to change it out if it comes loose, but I imagaine it will last if you take good care of it. You could as a last resort buy a new LHG from Ironwood Designs. His stuff is incredible.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.