Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What kinda wood is used on AKs?

Feedback Score

You get all sorts wood on stocks, some of it mismatched. I had to laugh at the pallet wood reference..Thanks for that.

I bought a yugo sks a while back. The lower stock looks like beech (Im not a wood expert). The upper guard over the barrel is mis matched and a much harder wood. Its striped (light and dark) and harder than hades when I refinsihed it. Definitely a different wood.

There was an old story going round they made some SKS in teak stocks to wiithstand jungle climate and sold them out for an African contract. Who knows?

They both have both been lovingly redone with a BLO finish, as the lower stock was in bad shape and looked like it had black dirt ground into it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Yes Kernel..

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    If the Russkie parts were in another country for X years and you have all the notes from Mommy and such that will convince ATF ya didn't just import them from Moscow last week, they can issue a permit. Sadly, you and I will never have enough bribe money to pay all the outstreched hands from here to Phnom Penh and make it happen. Well, you might but I certainly don't!

I've heard that CHU is a species of tree native to China, supposed to be resistant to jungle rot. But who knows? CHU may be the name of the local lumberyard in Xiangdong.
    That is one of the tricks. Ship from one country and let them sit in another country. $$$. In containers. Then import from country x as captured PLOs.
    Now pray customs does not have an agent with an IQ over 78 and spots your Russian or Chinese AKs.
    Cambodia wanted a 5 grand export license. O.K. we can do that. You crooked S.O.B.s
    Dock workers wanted 5 grand or our shipment was going too sit until Jesus rose from the dead.
    Finally get them here, maybe they get through customs, maybe they dont.
    Now advertise Russian parts. Knock knock. Hi were from the ATF. Where did you get the Russian parts.
    Kind of funny. I am seeing all these Russian guns for sale. But they dont want these AKs coming in.
    Can we spell, selective gun control rules.
    No money anymore kernel. They can rot in the warehouse for all I care.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadwall13 View Post
    Trying to figure a game plan for refinishing some HGs and stocks.
    What is the normal wood used by different countries for their handguards and stocks? Specifically interested in Romy and Bulgarian, but wouldn't mind learning about some of the other countries as well.
    Quite sorry I got off topic a bit their on your post. Guess sj was on the money. Here yah go with some of the wood used. Hope this helps. Guess their really is a chu wood. No not toothpicks zoom6zoom.
    Yooper John
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thank chu 4th. That helped me id 2 of my 3 sks.

Feedback Score

Thanks 4th for that informative link on sks stocks,

I stand corrected. What I thought was teak appears to be "Carpathian Elm".

Carpathian elm- Sounds like the kind of wood someone would ram into Count Dracula's heart. Geez, I guess that makes that ole sks an official "zombie" killer.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The "teak" wood designation for SKS/AK/any Yugo stock seems to stem from Mitchell's Mausers "creative" marketing, and nowhere else.

Elm and teak can look similar when finished, so the "creative" marketing jeen-ee-asses at Mitchell's used that similarity to aid sales figures on their, ahem, "original, pristine" in-house refurbs.

Leading to an internet legend of Yugoslavia using exotic, rare and expensive tropical wood normally reserved for yachts and rich folks construction on their com-bloc milspec issue rifles. Yah, sure. I can believe that
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    The "teak" wood designation for SKS/AK/any Yugo stock seems to stem from Mitchell's Mausers "creative" marketing, and nowhere else.

Elm and teak can look similar when finished, so the "creative" marketing jeen-ee-asses at Mitchell's used that similarity to aid sales figures on their, ahem, "original, pristine" in-house refurbs.

Leading to an internet legend of Yugoslavia using exotic, rare and expensive tropical wood normally reserved for yachts and rich folks construction on their com-bloc milspec issue rifles. Yah, sure. I can believe that

... coulda been scraps, leftovers, you know ... rafter tails and other cutoffs?

OK, I know better ... secondary hardwoods ... elm, adler, et al.

Hey Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.