Thread: Low cost foam brush

Feedback Score

Default Low cost foam brush

I was looking to refinish my Bulgy furniture and had run out of foam brushes. I really like the foam brushes because they are disposable and polyurethane lays down well with them. Foam brushes are open cell foam and being inventive and thrifty (not cheap) I improvised by using foam dish sponges to accomplish my goal. FYI a foam brush from the hardware store can cost around a dollar or more a bag or ten 4x6 open cell dish sponges were 99 cents. What a deal! You can cut to what ever size you like so they are fully customizable. Just make sure they don't melt with the type of solvent based finish you are useage. Lacquer will melt them. I cut a piece 3/4 x 3/4 x 1" to apply the poly. The only thing I would suggest is cut a "V" point to help draw the poly and make it easier to spread. Here are the finished results.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Those look great, post a pic on the rifle, and thanks for the sponge tip.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

You're welcome. It is a cost effective way for doing small projects.

Well unfortunately the stock is the most I have done. I'm doing research on the best way to bend my flat. I also need to make some tools. The barrel is a bulgy that only needs to be headspaced. As this is my first build I am not rushing because I want to make sure my build comes professionally. There are some really high quality builds here so the bar is set real high.

Feedback Score

Hello akma,
    The sponge brush seems to fill the wood pores very well unlike my urethane spray cans. Cool idea, thanks !!!

VD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try that. I like foam brushes too for the same reasons that you mentioned. Can't wait to try it.

Thanks!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.