Thread: Chicom Wood Finish on Birch Wood

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Chicom Wood Finish on Birch Wood

Gentelmen,
    I am requesting your help with the best methods to product the classic Chicom finishes of Natural Blonde and Orange. I read that Danish oil on birch wood will give it that nice natural blonde look. What would the best top coat be for this look? I usually just use shellac, in this case it would be clear of course.

Natural Blonde

For the orange, I thought about just using amber shellac. What are your thoughts on this?

Orange Finish

Thanks,
    John.

Feedback Score

My .02 cents...

Any clear top coat on birch (shellac, oil/water based polyurethane, etc.) will give the natural blonde look. Danish oil is actually a thinned wiping varnish and not a true oil, but would give the desired effect. Tung oil is sold both as a true oil and a wiping varnish and would also be suitable. Polyurethane will hold up to more abuse than shellac and is sold in gloss, semi gloss, and satin to suit whatever sheen you would like.

For the orange, well, orange shellac springs to mind first. Boiled linseed oil gives a somewhat orange cast, especially after several applications. Also I've used a stain called Colonial Maple by Minwax that gave an orange color to wood. Any of these options also allow for being top coated with polyurethane.

Hope this is helpful.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by withers.45 View Post
    My .02 cents...

Any clear top coat on birch (shellac, oil/water based polyurethane, etc.) will give the natural blonde look. Danish oil is actually a thinned wiping varnish and not a true oil, but would give the desired effect. Tung oil is sold both as a true oil and a wiping varnish and would also be suitable. Polyurethane will hold up to more abuse than shellac and is sold in gloss, semi gloss, and satin to suit whatever sheen you would like.

For the orange, well, orange shellac springs to mind first. Boiled linseed oil gives a somewhat orange cast, especially after several applications. Also I've used a stain called Colonial Maple by Minwax that gave an orange color to wood. Any of these options also allow for being top coated with polyurethane.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks. I've been experimenting with amber shellac and red dye for the orange.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.