Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Extracting oil and grease from milsurp furniture

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I had some k98 stocks that were totally soaked in cosmoline (dripping) and ran them through the parts washer (fresh fluid) first then stuff thats called prepsol, thats the brand name, it's thinner thats used to wipe down a car with just before you tack rag it and paint it. It drys slower than actone and pulls out more oil, after drying overnight do the acetone and finish/sand as wanted. But they were really soaked with cosmo and it cleaned them perfectly. The heat/ sunshine is a good call to get ride of all traces of thinners and oils. I'd avoid the stove/oven cleaner though, that's what I use for stripping blueing before polishing a part, don't think I'd want to chance it leaching out of a stock when reassembled and being warmed up from shooting allot, pretty caustic stuff. The boiling in water , especally on a laminated stock/guard, works but that can cause a stock to split, or delaminate. Not all laminated stocks are glued up with synthitic glues so it's a kinda last resort/chancey method. But also remember that acetone WILL attack synthetic glues, so be carefull there too. Paint prep type thinners won't attack eaither one. Just take longer to dry, a day in the sun.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Here's how wood that looked like typical Yugo milsurp before, looks after a somewhat radical method

Apex gives me Yugo wood
    I am with SJohnson on this method. BUT, every piece of wood is different. I have used variations of the methods listed in the above posts.

I agree with NOT using oven Cleaner. The simple reason is that I have no sure way to neutralize the stuff that soaks into the wood. Acetone and thinner are easy to clean off, and if a residue is left, who cares. It blends in with the Linseed oil, danish oil, teak oil, etc.

On one REALLY saturated SMLE stock, I literally boiled it in hot water, and skimmed the snarfy stuff off of the top. I then soaked it in thinner, and wiped it down with acetone. Air dry in the sunlight, and a final wipe down with thinner. Came out great....Used Danish oil on that one....
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    BUT, every piece of wood is different. I have used variations of the methods listed in the above posts.
    Every piece is different is a perfect statement regarding the cleaning of old wood.

Get to "know" the wood presenting you with problems, find out what works and you'll end up pleased. Take your time, and even revisit the problem if what you have done isn't pleasing you.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Every piece is different is a perfect statement regarding the cleaning of old wood.

Get to "know" the wood presenting you with problems, find out what works and you'll end up pleased. Take your time, and even revisit the problem if what you have done isn't pleasing you.
    Sage advise Mr Johnson....This is one to write down and refer back to often...Add it to your Books of Lore boys and girls...
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

I have used oven cleaner on old Mauser stocks. I used the mildest "non-toxic" Easy-Off oven cleaner, not the heavy duty stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.