Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Extracting oil and grease from milsurp furniture

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Extracting oil and grease from milsurp furniture

Gents,
    I need your help in order to find out the best way to extract oil and grease from milsurp furniture before I refinish it. I want to prevent the "weeping" that occurs when the wood handguards heat up and the old oil and grease bubble up and melt through the new shellac finish I apply.
    Thanks,
    Johnny.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I acetone the wood with old rags and fine steel wool several times and using a heat lamp or the natural sunlight with the stock wrapped up in newspaper and place in the window sill. I find the heat lamp is better (no need to wrap it in newspaer) because I can control the areas I need to concentrate on like the grip area.
    Also have a old flea market Iron and old washcloths or towels( lightly wet the towel apply the iron to the wet area to raise the dent) to raise dents and steam out more oil but don't go crazy
    all old military stocks we coated with linseed oil, I used a mixture of original linseed oil and a little bit of beeswax, this duplicates orignal miltary finishes

don't use the diswasher, oven cleaner, bleach, or sand paper

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat1 View Post
    I acetone the wood with old rags and fine steel wool several times and using a heat lamp or the natural sunlight with the stock wrapped up in newspaper and place in the window sill. I find the heat lamp is better (no need to wrap it in newspaer) because I can control the areas I need to concentrate on like the grip area.
    Also have a old flea market Iron and old washcloths or towels( lightly wet the towel apply the iron to the wet area to raise the dent) to raise dents and steam out more oil but don't go crazy
    all old military stocks we coated with linseed oil, I used a mixture of original linseed oil and a little bit of beeswax, this duplicates orignal miltary finishes

don't use the diswasher, oven cleaner, bleach, or sand paper

sprat

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Sprat, why not oven cleaner. I've used it after removing all the metal parts from the stock.
    Please don't tell me it's going to turn into sawdust in 5 years....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tanvil View Post
    Sprat, why not oven cleaner. I've used it after removing all the metal parts from the stock.
    Please don't tell me it's going to turn into sawdust in 5 years....

When you used over cleaner, did you just scrub the wood and then wash it down with soapy water afterwards?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

The stuff really tears metal up. After stripping all metal from the wood I sprayed it on and scrubbed with a green scotchbright and then a terry cloth towel followed by rinsing thoroughly with a garden hose. After drying for a day or two, the wood was completely smooth and free of any of it's original finish. The scotchbright knocked the raised grain off without removing any of the stocks profile. I read Sprats relpy and now I'm beginning to wonder.
    This was an old oil rubbed finish,
    I've found alcohol to work well on most AKs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The stuff really tears metal up. After stripping all metal from the wood I sprayed it on and scrubbed with a green scotchbright and then a terry cloth towel followed by rinsing thoroughly with a garden hose. After drying for a day or two, the wood was completely smooth and free of any of it's original finish. The scotchbright knocked the raised grain off without removing any of the stocks profile. I read Sprats relpy and now I'm beginning to wonder.

Thanks for the info. What I've done in the past is scrub the wood with soapy water and then let it air dry. I then wrapped the wood in paper towels (with rubberbands) and placed it in a black trash bag. I left the bag in the sun for several hours. This seemed to work, but I wasn't able to test fire the finished furniture afterwards so I don't know if any weeping occurred. I'd love to find out other, tested methods.

Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

tanvil
    what are you wondering about????, oven cleaner is suppose weaken the wood . I used it once on a old enfield cosmoline stock, no it has not turned to saw dust, but after reading others post in the past 15 years since I did the enfield stock. the concensus seems to go without oven cleaner

the advice I gave above is conservative and works

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Here's how wood that looked like typical Yugo milsurp before, looks after a somewhat radical method

Apex gives me Yugo wood
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Here's how wood that looked like typical Yugo milsurp before, looks after a somewhat radical method

Apex gives me Yugo wood

Nice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.