Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Romy RPK Stock Color??

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Default Romy RPK Stock Color??

Just picked up a Romy RPK kit from Apex, and I'd like to try and get the stock clor as close to original as I can. Does anyone have a tested/proven procedure for getting the correct color for the Romy stocks? I have done a BUNCH of stocks, but I have always given mine a bit more of a "Russian Red" look. I have that procedure down pat, but I haven't tried to reproduce the color of the Romy's yet. Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Well, since no one replied, I went with a very light sanding and applied my regular reddish stain, but immediately wiped it off, instead of allowing it an hour to really penetrate. It looks good so far, and appears to be pretty close to the original color. Tonight I'm gonna put some Minnwax sating poly on it and see what I've got. If it looks like it will be good, then I'll put several coats of poly, with 600 grit sanding between coats. The process I've been using for years comes out beautiful. Deep, deep, deep luster on the finish. Almost too pretty to be on an AK. LOL.

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yeah I can't believe no one replied

I looked at my kit but the finish is so grimy it's hard to tell what it should look like
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default 2nd...

Tough to call on stains or colors.. Really a matter of choice..
    Put a pict. up. Guys will give their opinions..
    A real AK, not a closet AK..
    Should be dragged behind a truck, soaked in salt water for a week, dunked in mud.. Left hanging in a tree to dry..
    That is what most all AKs in third world hands look like..
    Only in America do we work hard, to make them a piece of art.
    Bring it down here. I will show you how to put a finish on that weapon..
    Still hold the world record toss, 110 feet 7 inches.. Undefeated for 5 straight years now..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

My Romanian AKs have wood finishes that vary between reddish brown and brownish red.

I'd bet the Romanians, not having a lot of money, bought the cheapest shellac available in bulk. This would be seed lac. From Buy Dewaxed & Waxy Shellac Flakes - Discount Pricing
    The natural seedlac color is influenced by the sap consumed by the lac bug & the season of harvest.
    shellac.net has two varieties that sound like colors similar to what I've seen on Romanian stocks: Bysakhi Seed Lac (rich warm brown) and Thai Seed Lac (rich warm red amber tone).

I don't know of any single "way" of finishing a Romanian stock because I don't think there's any single color that prevailed.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile SJ.. You have that correct...

Stripping the shellac off the Romy's, you almost need 10 gallons of bleach and a belt grinder..
    Was wondering what they used..
    Damn. That stuff is almost bullet proof..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks guys. Yeah I wound up cleaning the stocks and giving them a very light sanding, and applied my own red formula. I didn't leave it on but a second though. I was only trying to mimic the look of what still had a shellac oover it. Touch up just the areas that were partially bare. Let that dry over night, and now all areas appear to be pretty close in color. Not enough to really tell much difference. Then I applied the first of many coats of Minnwax satin poly. Looks really good so far. Should turn out pretty nice. Don't have pics right now, but it's like a medium to dark brownish with just a hint of red.

4th, one of these days i'm gonna come down and take a shot at the record. LOL.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Didn't see this till now.
    Here's an original as new stock set for the RPK

Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Damn that is a beautiful stock set Gunnysmith!!! Thanks for posting that. Yeah theirs has a little more orange color to the stain.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The Romanian stocks vary in color. *That* RPK stock has some orange in it, but I've seen Romanian RPK stocks that look a brownish ruby red. And other shades, too!

I really don't think there's a standard color for the finish. That's good news for a refinisher. As long as you're close, it's done "right".

APEX' picture:
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

romanian rpk stock color

stock color finish on romanian rpk

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.