Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Refinishing Romanian stocks

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Default A horse of a different color

The grain comes out strong
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I love Rommy wood!!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

Wow, that lighter finish really looks good. Got any pics of the whole rifle?

I have to admit, when I first bought these Romanian parts kits, I wasn't too crazy over the pistol grip/handguard and planned on replacing them. I was just using the set for refinish practice. After handling it and seeing all these refinished stocks, I'm getting to like it. Now I really need to get going on the receiver so I can actually use it as intended.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jwv3
    Looks like the experiment was a success! Very nice. What did you tint the shellac with? Rit dye?
    TransTint wood dye solution.More pics on the Russian stock refinish thread.
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Nice blond Winn!! Pupwag I like that red!!! That's the problem - you need a rifle for every stock set you like.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I like them all!
    "It's all over but the cryin'!"Moonshiner

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Funny thing--Several years back it seemed I couldn't get the wood vertical front grip for love or money; so they were in great demand. Now people cut them off.

Of course, I also must confess being willing to die for that incredibly cool----AMD65!!!

Knowing I'll always want what I don't have lets me be happy with what I can get now.

Feedback Score

Corpsie, which metal piece do you twist? The one on the gas tube?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Man these look really nice. Can't wait to start refinishing mine!

Watjr, you actually don't twist the metal, but you hold either the wood or metal gas tube and rotate the other. Best to use a crescent wrench or channel lock pliers to hold the RSB-end of the metal. It can be a real tight fit, so what I normally do is clamp the RSB end in the vise and rotate the wood right off. The wood will rotate 180 degrees, then you can pull it off.

Weaponeer forum moderator Simo Hayha's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R
    Funny thing--Several years back it seemed I couldn't get the wood vertical front grip for love or money; so they were in great demand. Now people cut them off.

Of course, I also must confess being willing to die for that incredibly cool----AMD65!!!

Knowing I'll always want what I don't have lets me be happy with what I can get now.

WinnR, I love the job you did on the Rommy wood.

I also like the red Russian finish. I plan to duplicate yours on my latest Romanian. Funny, I tried the latest Romanian handguards in place of the E. German plastic on my I/O underfolder build of last year. Of course the front pistol grip fits the wrong way for my underfolder. Looks like I too am looking for something I don?t have ? a front handguard with the pistol grip facing backward to clear the underfolder.

One of the KGB (Kalashnikov Gun Builders)
    Band of Brothers.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.