Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Refinishing Romanian stocks

Feedback Score

Default Refinishing Romanian stocks

I had some good results with minwax 'red mohogany' stain. It is very close to the original color. I think I am going to apply a low gloss tung oil finish over it, so it will not look original but the color will be close. I stripped it down with Bix and sanded it with 180 grit before staining.

Here it is just after the stain, above an original stock for comaprison. I'll post another after finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hey that looks SWEET! Can you post some more details?

Feedback Score

Thanks. It was really very simple. After stripping off the original varnish (or whatever they use) the wood had only a slight tint of red to it. Mostly it looked kind of brownish grey. I sanded it with 180 grit just enought to open up the grain but not enough to start removing much wood. I used the red mohogany minwax stain just as the directions stated. Just apply and wipe off the excess. I'll be working on the HG's tonight.

Feedback Score

That looks pretty good there. You going to shine it up a little, or leave it dull?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm going to leave mine a little on the dull side, I got an IO kit and it is pretty beat up on the outside. I may in fact "weather" the receiver to match, not sure yet.

Then again, it may be nice to put a nice "factory" shellac over it...

Feedback Score

I did mine with alcohol and rit dye and went over that with 4-6 coats of linseed oil for shine. looks almost identical to russian red. I used the crimson red rit dye btw.
    if you want a good blonde color use the orange rit dye with the alcohol it looks pretty unique as well.

Feedback Score

The hanguards turned out pretty good as well. Heres a pic. They still need a finish. I think I'll use Formby's tung oil because I've had good results with it so far.

vegeta: what type of lineseed oil do you use? What type of gloss does it have to it when finished?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I am in the process of refinishing mine. Its not a total refinish as I want the battle worn look. I did sand large gouge out in the lower handguard in front of the pistol grip. I didnt touch anything else.

I took some american walnut and mahogany behlens solar-lux dye and applied it to even up the color whilst making it a bit darker. It's coming out a lovely dark red color. This went right over the last little remnants of the shellac. I didnt worry about them because my finish coat will be amber shellac which will soften up and blend in with the original shellac.

I plan on applying the shellac with one of those disposable sprayers. I'll post pics when i'm done

Feedback Score

i'll post a pic in a sec of the stocks.
    the linseed oil yeilds a high gloss or low gloss depending on how many coats and weather or not you knock the sheen down with steel wool.
    I use whats called high-speed linseed oil by a company called G96 products.
    here is a link:
    http://www.g96.com/miva/merchant.mv?...de=Linseed+Oil

Feedback Score

ok these first two are of the buttstock. it was steel wooled to take the high gloss down a bit.

these next few are of the handguards which I left high gloss.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.