Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beginner, How to bake on Duracoat?

Feedback Score

Default Beginner, How to bake on Duracoat?

Im building an amd65 for my first build. I think I have the build pretty well figured out. The only thing I am still tossing around is the finish. I read that duracoat engine paint works well but needs to be baked on.
    How are you guys baking it on? The only oven I have access too it the one in my house that we cook with. I guess if the fumes arnt too bad or it wont contaminate my oven, I would consider doing it. And how do you get the whole gun to fit inside of it? Im just worried that the meatloaf is giong to taste like paint if I tried this. Is there any paint that you can put on that air cures and is thick and strong enough to hold up to the heat and abuse? I would imagine that normal spray paint would not last long and probably rust.

On another note, the local gunshop want 75 bucks to bead blast rifle, and bake on gun coat. Is this fair price? Im looking to build cheaply.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There isn't any "duracoat engine paint". There is Duracoat, then there is Duplicolor (or other) engine paint.

A torn down AK fits nicely into a household oven And GunKoat flavored Meatloaf is probably my favorite meal

In any case... if looking for a good paint job? I would suggest paying that man $75 for an AL blast and GunKoat job... you'll be happier with it

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Dude, $75 for a blast & gunkote is CHEAP!!

If you apply paint to a slightly heated (100 degrees or so) surface and then wait 30 minutes for the liquid to evaporate from the paint you shouldn't have too much of a problem with fumes.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I saw a device fashioned from a length of round insulated heating duct, with the heat being supplied by a heat gun.

I'm pretty sure it was one of our members who built it, you might be able to find it with a search.

Feedback Score

Unless the guy does a butcher job, $75 to have a firearm bead blasted and properly gunkote'd is a great deal!
    It's innocent until proven guilty no matter how much you hate the present or future defendant.
    At 15.05 posts per day, can we really call Custer "Moderate"? - Bluedog

Feedback Score

I was wondering because his other prices are mediocre to high, his ffl transfer is 25, can get 15 from black powder shop. He charges about 400 for postban Wasrs, and quoted me 800 for a build on ak. He did offer me 450 on a vector even though he was looking for I think 485. Cool guy, class 3 too, so he has all the toys. manufacture licence too. But he does do good work. He wants 20 buck to check the headspacing. He is a good guy but when I was quoted 800 bucks to build a kit and provide all the parts I started to wonder. Ive seen a couple of his OD green Mac11s and Rem700 bolts and they looked real good. I think it was blast, park, paint to "hk" black for 75, additional 20 to check headspace. I still would like to do it myself. How are you guys baking your rigs, extra range in the garage? I thought about using the gas grill, put barrel portion on top, reciever portion on bottom, or one at a time. Also thought about those propane garage heaters that shoot the flames from the end, look like a base tube? then assemble afterwords.

Feedback Score

With duracoat you only need to heat it to like 90 F. When I originally planned on buying Duracoat, I manufactured a big ol' oven which could reach 120F with just a 500W halogen bulb.

I ended up using "Cheaper" Duracoat.
    It's innocent until proven guilty no matter how much you hate the present or future defendant.

Feedback Score

I have a Vermont castings 4 burner gas BBQ grill that will take the whole thing. I pre heat the rifle to about 100 and then apply the paint and bake it for a cople of hours at 350, turn off the grill and let it cool to room temp. Then I let it sit for a couple of days before I mess with it i use duplicolor 500

Feedback Score

Erikk,

Have you spray duplicolor 500 with any solvents?

Feedback Score

I posted a thread a couple of weeks back about an oven i built out of 16 inch terra cota plant pots. Caught a lot of #$%^ for no pixs. (I can barely use email.) I can't even figure out which of the little link buttons to use to link the other message like corpsie did. Search guncoat oven. I'll try pix again today.
    Sorry Rad

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.