Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I have to move and own a SBR. What responsibilities?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default I have to move and own a SBR. What responsibilities?

Being in the military, what happens if you own a SBR or other NFA item, and have to move to a new state? Do you have to re-pay the tax stamp and go through the approval process again, or do you just have to notify the ATF of the new address the firearm is owned at?

Any ideas? I'll be filling out my form 1 for my m92 SBR shortly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

notify the ATF
    No new tax needed.\

silencer doesn't need notification I don't think but the rest do.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

What DrugRunR said.

As long as the state you are moving to allows SBR. I think Washington, Jersey, Michigan, and of course Kali don't allow SBR IIRC.

Be sure to follow up by looking up the state firearms laws in their internet site.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

ks state law says they are legal but here in wichita i haven't found anyone who has been succesful in getting cleo signature... or has tried getting a signature, when i hve more money perhaps i'll try

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

that is one of the biggest hurdles in getting a SBR, or any NFA weapon......the CLEO signature. even though there is no state or local law forbiddening you to own one, a lot of chiefs, sheriffs don't want to sign them. I know for a fact that the chief of cuyahoga falls, oh will not sign any NFA forms, not even for his own people.....as well as the summit county sheriff.

armed ferret: if you do have to PCS to a new duty station check to make sure that the state you are going to allows a SBR, AS WELL AS the local community you will be in. some communities may have local laws against NFA weapons, even though the state doesn't

if you find yourself going to a state that does not allow a SBR.....you're pretty much stuck with either selling it, or geting the item off the NFA registery....in which case you will have to weld on a fake surpressor on it, or taking it apart.
    "I can make this march, and make georgia howl!"

Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Another option is to store it in a state that does allow NFA weapons. As long as you are the only one with direct access to it, ATF allows storage away from your home. If you had a gun safe at a relative's house and you were the only one with a key, keeping it in there would be OK. Later when you get back to a free state, you could retrieve it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

i would likely just rent a safe deposit box. i already called the bank branch my wife used to work at and explained it all to the manager there--he had no problem with me renting a box for that purpose if necessary.

this situation is currently just a hypothetical. we have a saying here at Offutt AFB--"Once you get Offutt, you never get off it."

Tends to be a permanent duty station for a lot of people. I've already ordered a couple copies of Form 5320.20 from the ATF Distro Center just to have on hand in case I do get orders. I've already got a big drawer o' forms with my C&R records anyway.

Throbbing Member scheistermeister's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by armed ferret
    i would likely just rent a safe deposit box. i already called the bank branch my wife used to work at and explained it all to the manager there--he had no problem with me renting a box for that purpose if necessary.

this situation is currently just a hypothetical. we have a saying here at Offutt AFB--"Once you get Offutt, you never get off it."

Tends to be a permanent duty station for a lot of people. I've already ordered a couple copies of Form 5320.20 from the ATF Distro Center just to have on hand in case I do get orders. I've already got a big drawer o' forms with my C&R records anyway.
    so how exactly do you take that into that bank? just wrap it up real good? cause i KNOW you couldnt just walk in there with it strapped to your shoulder...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

call ahead before i get there to let him know i'm on the way, and keep it in an unmarked box. those were his words.

The Gun Nut of Gun Nuts noonanda's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Some states also have excemptions for active duty military PCS'ing under orders. Like me, I get to take my "EVIL AK-47" to the very home of the anti-gun demons, the Peoples republic of California. I have to register it and do some BS paperwork, and that costs like 80 dollars, but it is a off to the heads in charge out there. Plus I have a letter from the Asst attorney General saying that I can take Hi-cap mags (30rd mags) and convert them to Low Cap (10rders) while still looking like a 30 rd mag. so another big off to them
    Noonanda
    GySgt USMC

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence
    on those who would do us harm _ George Orwell

"I Like Marines, because being a Marine is a serious business. We're not a social club or fraternal organization and we don't pretend to be one. We're a Brotherhood of "WARRIORS", Nothing more, Nothing less, Pure and Simple. We are in the Ass-Kicking Business, and Unfortunately, these days business is good." COL J.M. LOWE, USMC 2004

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.