Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bolt pistol

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

I think Dad had an Enfield in mind. He was given an Enfield with a bent barrel a few years ago and was thinking about making it into a bolt pistol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Only if that pistol has a 16" bbl!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

what would be the differance between welding back together a milled reciver and making it a pistol and taking a rifle bolt action cutting it in half then rewelding it and now calling it home built? I am also not sure about if a rewelded reciver (Yugo Kit) is actually a US part or not. mine will still have serial # from the original reciver there was never a seperate trunion in the first place can I now call the stub a trunion? need to make a pistol this way

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

remington XP-100's are not cheap and IF I remember correctly only single shot. I looked at them a while back. My big thing for pistols is I am allowed to hunt in my states shotgun pistol only areas. ( my backyard) I want a little more stoping power than the 7.62x39 a 8mm mauser or 308 is what i want with more than one shot capacty. My amd 65 pistol with 3x9 scope mounted at the end of the barrel and fired with my head on the dust cover very close to how a rifle is fired, trigger is in a comfortable archery release position is very fast to shoot and it will group at around 2'' at 100 yards off a rest just would like a little more knock down power

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The receiver sections left attached to a demilled kit were torched according to ATF specifications and are no longer considered a receiver. Modifying them and rewelding into something else makes it a "new" receiver. However, ATF has said in the past that modifying a completed imported gun part does NOT make it US made under their interpretation. Whether or not your new receiver would be US made would be up to ATF interpretation and you should get a ruling on it from them directly just to CYA from a 922(r) standpoint.

OTOH, a pistol doesn't need any US made parts so if it was a pistol build no worries.

Now as for cutting the Enfield receiver apart and rewelding, you would need to get the ATF approved demill procedure for this particular weapon. I believe the "generic" description used for demill procedures is two angled cuts with a cutting torch that removes at least 1/4" of metal width per cut. The problem is ATF also specifies where these cuts occur and are specific to the weapon. If that was done to the Enfield, the leftover pieces would be scrap metal and not a receiver anymore. Rewelding it into a receiver again would get you the "virgin" receiver required for a pistol build. Lotta work though.

The original Xp-100 was a single shot, but later versions have a magazine. They relocated the pistol grip so it's no longer a "bullpup" type pistol and based it on the model 7 action. Called the XP-100R IIRC. Too bad they dropped them from their catalog in 95.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Kernelkrink thanks for all the good info! MY milled reciver project will have a US made barrel any how. so it will remove one imported part from the build. but some one who was to do a normal build thinking there reciver is now considerd US may be in for a suprise. I would be sure to loose one more imported part just to be safe. Man I am glad I asked
    who can can demill a reciver? gunsmith, citizen, law enforcement? is saw cut no longer an option? I would loved to have had a xp 100 but looking back had I bought it I would have never started building guns. I am looking into trying to buy some type of virgin bolt action and ffl'ing it as a pistol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Saw cut was too easy to put back together so they went to torch cut only. As long as you document the destruction I would think anybody could do it.

Feedback Score

OK, lets try this plan. You buy a Remington 710, press the barrel out of the receiver, fab a new receiver tube, hang the old receiver on your shop wall so you have evidence of what you did. Re-use plastic receiver liner, bolt and mag.
    Does this comply with BATF and would it require approval.
    OLD SANG

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yep, as long as the receiver itself is newly made by you, no problems. No need for approval.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

All of the BATF rules are up for interpetation . If an agent tells me something , I simply do not believe what he has to say , it is best to start with a complete virgin steel object and go from there . Inter Ordance will tell you how to get into hot water involves legal usage of the rules and they still are out over 2.5 million dollars . It is well worth your time to read the site on JFPO site about the Batf.

http://www.jpfo.org/batfearticles.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.