Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bolt pistol

Feedback Score

Default Bolt pistol

Am I right in assuming that I may not build a bolt pistol from an existing rifle.Tell me about "substantially modified".

OLD SANG

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A rifle receiver cannot be made into a pistol, it would be a short bbl rifle and subject to NFA registration and tax.

The only legal way to build a pistol on a rifle type receiver is to start with a new receiver that has never been assembled as a rifle, or use an existing receiver that was previously assembled as a pistol.

"substantially modified" in regards to?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

What makes it a pistol if someone will refresh mine and my Dad's memory. I would assume the lack of a buttstock and the short barrel, but which would it be. Say you had a rifle that was over 26 inches long and had a pistol grip and no butt. Is it still a pistol?

I think I know what Dad is getting at and any links to the NFA law where the spec are provided would be nice as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

That is what got me into building AK pistols. started out I wanted to build a 3 0r 4 shot mauser action hunting pistol in some thing like 308 or 30-06. I was told the same thing you can not convert an exsiting rifle reciver into a pistol. if the action had a short barrel it would be illegal. my under standing is that a pistol is one made /built as one first, it can have any length barrel no stock and no forward vertical grip. It,s my understanding that you may then take a pistol and add a legal length (if nessacry) barrel and then ad a stock and call it a rifle. so I started looking into home made recivers and now I got more ak kits and parts than I know what to do with. I would like to see concrete in writting from the atf on a lot of these gun laws along with side bars that explained to the layman what you can and can"T do. I remember that there was a legal case with thompson contender conversions to rifle some time back and thompson won in court I will see if I can find those links. I may some day buy a new mauser action and register it as a pistol. I dont know what your dad wants to do but I bet it involves a cheap $90 rifle that looks like a TC for under $100 Thats what I wanted any way.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Under fed law a pistol is a firearm designed to be fired with one hand. ATF interprets this as a gun with one pistol grip on it. Beyond that, anything goes. Bbl can be as long or short as you want.

"(29) The term ?handgun? means? (A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and (B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled. "

A rifle without a butt is still a rifle if it was originally made as a rifle. Removing the butt does not change it's status. If it is over 26" overall and over 16" bbl it is a legal rifle whether the buttstock is on it or not. Below those measurements, it's an SBR and subject to the NFA regs.

"(7) The term ?rifle? means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

(8) The term ?short-barreled rifle? means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches. "

NFA definitions:

http://www.washingtonwatchdog.org/do...I/sec5845.html

Please not that the term "firearm" in this section does not mean a "normal firearm" but an NFA regulated firearm.

"Normal" firearms defined:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...1----000-.html

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thompson Center case analyzed by the lawyer who argued for TC:

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Thank you KernelKrink.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

If you are using a receiver that is normally used for "rifle" type guns, it has to be a virgin receiver if you want to build it into a pistol. It can never have had a buttsctock installed on it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sang
    Am I right in assuming that I may not build a bolt pistol from an existing rifle.Tell me about "substantially modified".

OLD SANG
    Yes you are right .You cant modified or not. Must be built on a receiver that has never ever had a stock mounted on it.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Find a remington xp-100 and go from there. I had 2 of them years ago. one in 7mm TCU which was .223 necked up to 7mm and a 7mm imca which was .35 savage necked down to 7mm. both were accurate and packed alot of punch. the xp was also made in 7mm 08 a potent round.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.