Thread: A couple of legal questions on using flats.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default A couple of legal questions on using flats.

Hello, I am wondering about a couple things regarding using a flat for making a gun.

1) I have recently been told that no matter if you are going to transfer the gun or not you will need to put your name, a serial number, and your location on the receiver, is this true?

2.)If using the proper ammount of 922r compliance parts, example: (U.S made muzzle break, Tapco G2,U.S flat, and a U.S made gas piston.) And the receiver is made for semi auto only. The flat is serial numbered to the person who manufactured the gun. Would there be any legal problems? Or am I missing somthing?

3.)I also heard that if you still contain the orignal FA trigger groups and parts you could get in alot of trouble considering it is somthing that could be made into a working FA gun. What truth is there in that, and can someone contain but not use the original FA trigger groups?

4.)What is the general law for home builders using flats? There is a chance I may have missed somthing above so I am just making sure. I am not even sure a serial number is needed if you don't plan to sell, I have heard it both ways.

Also if you guys have any letters that I could print off from the BATF, or written things that I can print off that would be extremely nice.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks for your time and concern.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I'm a little hesitant to deal with this but I did want you to have a response.

There are other sites which contain detailed legalese regarding these issues. I suggest you look at these. This is no more than my opinion and I'm in no way qualified.

All of this is predicated on the assumption that you did not build with an intention to sell.

The government suggests that the name and serial number be on it.

Flats are not serial numbered.

The original trigger groups should be replaced as compliance parts. I do not understand your question regarding containing but not using original trigger groups.

If you bend a flat planning to sell it you will need to be licensed as a manufacturer.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Letters provided for clarification from the BATFE FTB apply only to the individual(s) who submitted the letter, and may or may not be considered on a build by another individual. Case in point.... A letter has been provided to an individual at another board stating that a modified foreign trigger group would be considered of US manufacture. I submitted a letter asking for clarification on another type of firearm and was told if the part was made abroad, no matter what modification has been made, it is still considered of foreign manufacture and will not qualify as a 922r compliant. If you make a gun with the intention to resell it, you are manufacturing period. It is recomended that you mark and serial number your build in case they are stolen, but this is not required. Best suggestion I can give is to submit your questions to the BATFE. They do not bite if you are not breaking the law.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks for the replys guys. I think you misinterpreted a few things I said. First of all, I have no plan to ever sell these. If they are ever sold, the receivers will be cut off. The trigger group question was if I put a U.S made Tapco G2 trigger group in all of my builds and had the original FA ones laying in a box would it be legal? I have no intention of selling these at all, so no buisness. I just simply wanted to know if everything I mentioned above is legal, or if I was missing somthing. And if they had to be serial numbered with the builders name, a number, and the builders location? Thanks again guys. If anyone has anything more to add to this it would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I make it a point to dispose of the full auto parts of any project I build. Period.

The alphabet people have a tendency to change their "collective" minds frequently depending on how the wind blows. There's a small word called "intent". If you have those full auto parts laying around and a semiauto build that they could easily fall in to, the window for that nasty word intent slides open. Just how far depends on how angry the beaver is that day and whether or not the monthly quotas for hassling/prosecuting average gun owners has been filled.

Ditch the full auto parts or bury them in an airtight pvc pipe on a planet far, far away.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Gunco Regular Francisco Pizarro's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

It's guilty til judged innocent when firearms are concerned unless you kill someone. But any infractions involved with the mfg, ownership, or transaction of...you're guilty so get rid of them.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Makes sense, all of the original parts I dont use from the builds will be gotten rid of after they are built. I was also told that one can only bend 3 flats per year because they may only manufacture 3 guns a year without an 02 liscense. I personally that that was BS because I have seen a lot of people bend tons of them. My main concern with these questions was the Flats.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The advice given above is accurate for the most part. There is no "limit" on how many receivers you can make, the only limitation is that they must be for your personal use.

BTW, this only covers Federal law. State and local laws are often stricter and you should contact your state atty general if you have any doubts in that area.

Rather than tossing your full auto parts (with the exception of the auto sear itself), I would simply grind the FA sear catch off the front of the hammer and the "tail" on the disconnector to convert them to semi configuration. The trigger is the same in both versions. Never know when spare parts might come in handy down the road, and you can use them in pistol builds. (No US parts required in a pistol)

Gunco Member Windage and Elevation's Avatar
    Feedback Score

I, for one look forward to building an AK from a flat. I thought that I might make the first one from a kit, but then I would like to build from a flat - kind of a do-it-myself, you know?
    I was not delivered into this world into defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd.
    I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep.
    The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
    I will persist until I succeed.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.