Thread: California "Featureless" Rifles?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default California "Featureless" Rifles?

I have recently been informed that in California the DOJ can no longer add to the manufacturers list of banned "Assault Weapons", and as such it makes "Featureless" rifles legal.
    By featureless it was explained to me that for instance an AR or an AK would be legal if it had no pistol grip, no flash hider, no bayonet lug, and no folding stock.
    Or it would be legal with a pistol grip if it had a fixed magazine not capable of holding more than 10 rounds, as in the FAB-10 and others for example.
    I have become aware of various devices that effectively limit a rifle to a fixed 10 round magazine as well.
    My questions are:
    1) Is the above true?
    2) Is it legal to build a semi-auto rifle from an AK parts kit with the proper count of US Compliance Parts in it, as long as it does not contain any features that would declare it an "Assault Weapon".
    3) Would a semi-auto rifle built from an AK parts kit that not only lacked any "features" of an "Assault Weapon" but also had a fixed 5 round magazine, that was secured by weld in one manner or another, comply with California Law and be legal?

The theory being that by not having any evil "features" and having a fixed 5 round magazine, the rifle would be of "sporting use".

Can anyone provide any information?

Respectfully,
    Mini-14

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

A guy over at AK Files had a build party in Cali a few months back, thread about it here. He'd be the person I'd ask for Cali specific legalities.

Feedback Score
    74 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-14
    My questions are:
    1) Is the above true?
    2) Is it legal to build a semi-auto rifle from an AK parts kit with the proper count of US Compliance Parts in it, as long as it does not contain any features that would declare it an "Assault Weapon".
    3) Would a semi-auto rifle built from an AK parts kit that not only lacked any "features" of an "Assault Weapon" but also had a fixed 5 round magazine, that was secured by weld in one manner or another, comply with California Law and be legal?

The theory being that by not having any evil "features" and having a fixed 5 round magazine, the rifle would be of "sporting use".

Can anyone provide any information?

Respectfully,
    Mini-14
    Yes it is true. You can have a featureless rifle as long as its not named (By make and model) on Californias ban list.

Or you can have a rifle with all the evil features as long as it has a fixed mag of ten rounds or less (5 is OK) as long as its at least 30" overall measured with stock folded. Again this must not be a rifle banned by name.

See www.calguns.net for detals
    Buy your US made AK-47 compliance parts here.
    Best price on US made AK parts! also $5 flat rate shipping .
    http://www.rcmgunparts.com/

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I went with a friend to buy a gun in Pasadena last month.

A S&W revolver, 38/357, none adj sights, was $650 with fees and taxes.

It took 3 hours in the store. We were promptly waited on -- it took that long.

Included a 30 question test as well as the standard background stuff.

There was a licensed instructor to give the required lesson on gun operation.

And we couldn't have it for 10 days. And if you waited more than 30 days to pick it up you were screwed and had to do it all over again. So I asked was there any way to get one sooner. I was given a street corner in LA where I could pick up a full auto MAC 10 for $500.

Made me glad I live in Georgia!!!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Checking out CalGuns.Net now and AK Files. Thank you for the links guys!

LA is LA, about the only city I've been in where hookers work residential neighborhoods, and the Police roll into the hood 4 deep to watch the fireworks on the 4rth of July while everyone else is drinking beer in the middle of the street watching the "aerial display wars" going on around them. It's definitely a trip down there. Not somewhere I would want to live, but not a bad place to hang out from time to time. ;-)
    Your experiences in that Pasadena store illustrate so well just how effective Gun Control really is in this country.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-14
    Checking out CalGuns.Net now and AK Files. Thank you for the links guys!

LA is LA, about the only city I've been in where hookers work residential neighborhoods, and the Police roll into the hood 4 deep to watch the fireworks on the 4rth of July while everyone else is drinking beer in the middle of the street watching the "aerial display wars" going on around them. It's definitely a trip down there. Not somewhere I would want to live, but not a bad place to hang out from time to time. ;-)
    Your experiences in that Pasadena store illustrate so well just how effective Gun Control really is in this country.
    And how much of that would be going on if you could(legaly) sit on your front porch holding a fully loaded AK, ready to drop the next dirtbag that attempted a drive-by?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R
    I went with a friend to buy a gun in Pasadena last month.

It took 3 hours in the store. We were promptly waited on -- it took that long.

Included a 30 question test as well as the standard background stuff.

There was a licensed instructor to give the required lesson on gun operation.

And we couldn't have it for 10 days. And if you waited more than 30 days to pick it up you were screwed and had to do it all over again. So I asked was there any way to get one sooner. I was given a street corner in LA where I could pick up a full auto MAC 10 for $500.

Made me glad I live in Georgia!!!
    Sounds like you were in Turners. That has got to be the WORST place to conduct a transfer. I go to my regular guy all the time, and always get in and out in less than an hour depending on how busy he is. Turners is staffed by monkeys that really have no clue how to expedite the paperwork process. I avoid that place like the plague.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

BINGO!!!

You called that one right!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Apparently according to CalGuns.Net what I have in mind would be legal. I think that I will still write a letter to CADOJ for clarification from them before starting a build. At least I can buy and have parts and be legal until I get a reply from them.
    Thank you again for the help.
    Mini-14

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I called the CADOJ one time for info On a possble build for my dad out there. the Woman was very knowledgable and helpfull. I was shocked to be quite honest. Give them a call It cant hurt.
    I have wonderd for some time if a hinged non removable Mag on a AK would be CA legal. that way it could be swung down loaded then swung back into place. If someone one uses this Idea I want the credit for it!!!!. The AK pistol Iwanted to do in CA was a no no due to pistols have to be submitted for teasting or something like that and CA pistols can,t have the mag in front of the trigger. Mauser broom handels were grandfatherd in I think.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.