Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Is there a "dark side" to the SBR permit?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A receiver is just that, a receiver. It is neither a handgun or a rifle, but it is a firearm under fed law. The proper way to write it up in the bound book and transfer paperwork is "bare receiver" or "receiver only" or just plain "receiver". Some manufacturers will sell the identical receiver with the word "pistol" engraved upon it for that little extra CYA.

One of the problems with an FFL receiving a bare receiver and logging it in on his books as "rifle" or "handgun" is the excise tax issue. If he purchased a bare receiver and built it into a rifle using his parts, excise tax would be due on that firearm he built. An ATF agent seeing an entry of rifle where the manufacturer was say NDS, he is gonna know NDS only sells bare receivers. The fact he logged it out as a rifle would make the assumption he built and sold a rifle very easy.

As far as pistol receivers requiring registration, waiting periods, etc. that would fall under state and local laws. You need to decide if logging it out as a "handgun receiver" with local paperwork would be required for a pistol build.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I believe my FFL notes bare receivers as "frame"..

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

OK, an FFL is setting themselves up for possible issues if they transfer something other than a "frame" or "receiver."

To paraphrase the kernel, "The fact he logged it out as a receiver/frame would make the assumption the owner built a rifle very easy." A stretch, I know, but now where's the proof that I built a virgin receiver into a pistol and NOT a rifle?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I contacted the guy who I buy this stuff from and he told me he could transfer one to me as a pistol but I would have to do the state mandated 5 day waiting period and it would have to be transfered as a pistol on the 4473 and it would have to be called in to the FBI as a pistol during the NICS check. The 4473 is supposed to list what type of firearm the receiver is used for ie pistol or rifle. If a dealer sells you a rifle receiver and 10 years later later your'e out shooting at a range and an off duty cop who doesnt know shit from shinola decides to get a hard on about your "pistol" there is a real possibility you could be doing some splainin' to do once the 4473's are dragged into court and it clearly says RIFLE on the firearm type line. Confiscation, fines, jail time etc. I'll just have a receiver transferred to me as a pistol.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I looked into getting a new unbuilt virgin mauser bolt action registerd as a pistol and was told it could not be done. I have always wonderd what the differance between a 100% AK or AR reciver that can be registerd as pistol and a mauser bolt action that was never built? the only think I can think of it is impossable to to buy directly from the manufacture so it must be on the dealler books as a rifle already even though un built. I am looking for any bolt action that can be built into a legal pistol.( reasonanbly priced)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Someone either lied to you or didnt want to hassle with it or really believed that it couldnt be transfered as a pistol. It can. You just need to find an accomodating dealer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.