Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DEFINITIVE air gun silencer law?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default DEFINITIVE air gun silencer law?

Can anyone answer this with any degree of truth and accuracy>?
    I have heard that it is ILLEGAL/unlawful to own a silencer for an air rifle?
    The logic is that if it can be made to accept a center or rimfire round, while reducing the audible noise then it will be considered illegal?
    Is this correct?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

i might be mistaken but i thought i seen an advertisment in sgn that showed a cut away of an air gun being sold and the thing had as we'd call it a "suppressor" but seeing how an air gun has no hot gases to cool i dont see the point.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

A silencer is a device that attaches to a firearm and reduces the level of the report by at least one decibel for at least one shot.

Since an air rifle does not fit the description of a firearm, it isn't applicable. To my understanding, you are correct. However as long as it is permanently affixed to the air rifle, paintball gun, or other non-firearm it cannot be fitted to a firearm at the same time, making it legal.

Sever air rifle manufacturers are incorporating suppressors now. The first I had seen suppressed was the Air Force Talon SS http://www.airforceairguns.com/talonss.html

But now mainstream airguns are getting into the game and are available from your local hardware stores. It looks like the permanent attachment is the deciding factor though.

There is a great thread on this very question here:
    Silencers for Air Guns-Are they Legal?? - TheFiringLine Forums

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    A silencer is a device that attaches to a firearm and reduces the level of the report by at least one decibel for at least one shot.

Since an air rifle does not fit the description of a firearm, it isn't applicable. To my understanding, you are correct. However as long as it is permanently affixed to the air rifle, paintball gun, or other non-firearm it cannot be fitted to a firearm at the same time, making it legal.

Sever air rifle manufacturers are incorporating suppressors now. The first I had seen suppressed was the Air Force Talon SS airforce airguns talon ss air rifle

But now mainstream airguns are getting into the game and are available from your local hardware stores. It looks like the permanent attachment is the deciding factor though.

There is a great thread on this very question here:
    Silencers for Air Guns-Are they Legal?? - TheFiringLine Forums
    True enough, but they can get away with this as long as the suppressor, silencer or moderator cannot be "easily removed" from the weapon(without cutting), then it is legal in the US?
    I thought that was in the BATF script somewhere?

I'm certainly not going to fuel the Anti's by making one or even trying.
    If it's legal, GREAT. IF not..oh well.
    Suppressors/mods and silencers are sold By Logun and the like over in Europe all of the time, but over here they are illegal...That must be the reason?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Fritz,
    thanks for the links. I posted a reply before I checked them out.
    A suppressor would not be effective on my rifle anyhow. I have a spring piston rifle and the spring is responsible for the report, not the air leaving the barrel.

I am surprised, however, that our society has not made these "license required" firearms with the way things are going. Most of them are DEF not toys...not the the Red Ryder. Thats the law over in Great Britain.
    The rifle I have throws a .22 cal pellet at over 1000fps. ALmost as powerful as a .22lr!!!!!!!!!!
    ...damn close to it, anyways

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by g2busmc View Post
    we'd call it a "suppressor" but seeing how an air gun has no hot gases to cool i dont see the point.
    Suppressors serve two purposes that decrease the report of a weapon. One is to decrease the temperature of the hot gases escaping into the atmosphere, as you were implying. However sound is not a result of only one factor. Suppressors also reduce the rate that those gases are introduced to the outside atmosphere. By creating turbulence through the use or ports, chambers, baffles or other semi restrictive media, the gases (hot or cold) do not find a direct route to the muzzle. By elongating the time in which the gases exit, the report is reduced at any temperature.

It was once explained to me as being the difference between popping a balloon and letting the air come out of an untied balloon on its own. It is the same amount of gas in the same volume of space, and the only difference in their release is the time in which they escape.

Because the gases exiting an air rifle are not super heated, this eliminates a whole element of sound, and allows the use of less strong materials like plastics in their construction. By starting off without hot gases, I would almost think that an air rifle would be a more fitting candidate for suppression.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Fritz,
    as an avid air gunner, you are correct. Even in a spring piston air rifle, the air is subject to "dieseling" even when no petroleum products are in the chamber.
    The piston slams forward at such a high rate, that the gases "flash" at close to 1000degrees for a split second. When there is petroleum in the chamber(wd40, lube or slick 50) it creates a very loud report. This is intentionally dieseling an air rifle(in an attempt to make it faster) and the results have been lethal.
    These idiots do not realize that pellets become more unstable in flight at higher speeds(due to the diabolo shape) and tumble-reducing accuracy.

back to hot gasses-"springers" or non-pump/non-co2 air rifles have a loud report mostly because of the spring piston slamming forward when the trigger is pulled. Suppressors will not reduce the report as effectively as with true air rifles because of this. When we speak of the hot gasses, we're also not talking about the volume of level of gas that a TRUE firearm puts out.
    Gamo has one out called the "whisper" many say that it works, but it is a "springer" type so I am apprehensive. I also will not spend close to $200 on an air rifle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sorry, I got lost in my own reply
    Clarification;
    "I am an avid air gunner"
    "but you are correct on the suppression factor"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

interesting i though that a suppressor only worked for hot gases.

Feedback Score

Anyone know why the fully automatic air guns are not under the NFA. The definition of a Machine gun would seem to include an air gun
    David Goldman
    Gun Trust Lawyer Website Jacksonville Estate Planning Website
    904-685-1200 1-877-7GUN-LAW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.