Thread: major replacement parts

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default major replacement parts

what are the legal concerns when replacing major internal parts for an ak/ar style rifle?
    I am having a bolt carrier issue and would like to eventually replace it, but do not know about the laws surrounding this.
    the current bolt carrier has the matching serial for my rifle on it. it is still in working condition.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

You shouldn't have any legal issues. It shouldn't affect parts count on an ak, as I believe all bolt carriers are of foreign manufacture anyway. If it is an AR you are talking about, you have even less to worry about.

What kind of issues are you having that would warrant a bolt carrier switch to start with? Maybe they can be remedied without replacement, and save you a couple of bucks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Fritz,

check out my thread under the ak47 room entitled "piston problems"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Ok, I see your issue there. As for legal issues, an imported part, switched for an imported part is of no concern. You are good. I would first try to screw around with the existing bolt carrier, as it is the cheapest route to go, and if you have to replace it anyway, you'll be in the same place you started.

If it were mine, saying the barrel is in straight and the rear sight base is aligned properly(as it appears to be), I'd try to take the carrier down flush with the piston with some emery cloth or something, then I would put a slight bevel on whatever part of the rear sight base or gas tube that is biting at your carrier. If that didn't work, I would try to bend the carrier back to spec if it were out.

If all of this fails, then I'd buy a carrier.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks, that makes more sense.
    Apparently, there was a rivet where the rubbing is occurring? I guess that this rivet holds the piston in place?
    I know that AK's are not instruments of precision, especially since I bought a WASR, but I wanted to make sure that my weapon was not heading towards certain disaster
    Thanks

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.