Thread: Heller Decision may be tomorrow (Wed 6/25)

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Heller Decision may be tomorrow (Wed 6/25)

(I've taken this from another forum posted by hoffmang). I thought you might all appreciate this since Heller may very well be the most important gun case in our lifetimes.

All,

I think everyone is aware but I wanted to again place all the "how to follow it" details in one place. Heller may be released tomorrow. I give it a 40% chance and think instead they will add another day for Thursday (6/26 - 60%) and release it then. However, if it is released tomorrow it will be between 7AM Pacific and 8AM Pacific most likely.

Scotusblog will be liveblogging the orders and opinions tomorrow. They are expecting a ton of traffic tomorrow (and Thursday if that happens) and even made changes to their site to support it. The liveblog app autoupdates and I highly recommend it.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

- Adaptation of Dune "Mentat" mantra.

Assault Rifle Collector American-47's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Default California May Be in Business Again?

If the Supreme Court rules in favor of an individuals right to bear arms. And the opinion is written in a way that supports ownership of a wide range of commonly owned weapons (semi auto rifles). This may force communist states like California to toss out their bans on assualt rifles and other weapons that are commonly owned in other states.

So, cross your fingers my California friends, you may soon be in business again.

Good, luck!

American-47

Last edited by American-47; 06-25-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score

Along with the legislation currently being debated over in the house in regards to putting the BATFE on a leash. It is looking like it could be a bright future. So long as we win that is.
    Infantryman
    Two Combat Tours
    Criminal Justice Major.
    15 years of shooting under the belt
    Collection of both modern and antique handguns and rifles
    STILL A YOUNG MAN WITH LOTS OF TIME

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by American-47 View Post
    This may force communist states like California to toss out their bans on assualt rifles and other weapons that are commonly owned in other states.
    True. The Silvera case that challenges AWs in CA hinges on the collectivist argument. Unfortunetly, there is no 14th amendment question being raised in Heller.

No 14th incorporation = no limitation on state restrictions and no due process. So in CA, NY, Mass among others where there's no state RKBA in the state constitution, we'll have to wait for Son of Heller. Heller may effect things in CA via federal court, and throughout 'Free America'. It will really depend on how the ruling is written and whether the 2nd is considered a 'fundamental right' vs intermediate. And the level of scrutiny. Waiting is killing me and I hope Scalia is in his prime since it appears he's writing the majority.

For off list lowers however, Californians already can enjoy a variety of AK's and AR's among other things (so long as they are configured to compliance). See calguns.net for more on that.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

- Adaptation of Dune "Mentat" mantra.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Out of curiosity, are the references to "son of heller" references to an actual bit of legislation being drawn up or court case being prepared? or is it a reference to the many theoretical bills or cases that may come as a result of a 2A favorable decision?

Feedback Score

For those in the know, any news pop up? Awaiting impatiently.
    Infantryman
    Two Combat Tours
    Criminal Justice Major.

Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Out of curiosity, are the references to "son of heller" references to ......
    Son of Heller. Daughter of Heller. Spawn of Heller. Nephew of Heller. Drunk Uncle of Heller. Hopefully not Grandchild of Heller. Those references are unfortunately theoretical cases. There's a few likely candidates working through the system, but I think incorporation may come rather rapidly post Heller (within 5 years). If Scalia kicks Brady an' the bunch in the groin really hard, we might just see a 14th case rather quickly.

Just to give you an idea of the importance of the 14th amendment, consider all those folks who rave about 1st amendment rights. The fact is, we take for granted that its taken 80 odd years of legal battles hashing it out to both 'incorporate' and clarify the 1st. The second is about to begin the same journey.

The sun is rising my friend and we're here to witness it.

Feedback Score

The waiting is killing me. Hopefully we'll have some kind of news by Friday afternoon. Come Saturday I'll be gone to the field for training for about 2 1/2 weeks.....
    Infantryman
    Two Combat Tours
    Criminal Justice Major.

Gainesville, Ga Prototype Services's Avatar
    Feedback Score

I hope you guys have seen all the news.

NRA and GOA have already filed lawsuits in Chicago, NRA in SF.
    Here we go, one step at a time.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.