Thread: Question about putting serial number on AK built up from flat

Feedback Score

Default Question about putting serial number on AK built up from flat

Hey guys, I'm about to attempt to bend my first flat. I would like to put a serial on my receiver. I don't plan on selling the gun, but would like to have a serial in case it does get stolen or on the off chance I sold it one day.

Is just a serial enough if I wanted to transfer the gun one day? I read the applicable regs and manufacturers have to have a variety of information; but that's not the case for individuals.

Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If you want to transfer it you have to follow the same regs in regard to markings as any other manufacturer. That means a unique serial number, your name, city and state, and caliber of the rifle. Minimum height and depth of the markings apply.

If it remains with you, the trunnion number from the original kit would seem to be enough of a serial number for reporting stolen or whatever. Imported Aks have their serial # there, only US made receivers are serialed on the shell.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

do all those marking have to be on the reciver?? for example my remingtons have every thing but the serial number on the barrel. what are the mandatory height and depth?? it a full n ame required or a can it be a inital and a last name ect?
    I have been considering stamping mine as well and documenting when they were built prior to any bans forthcoming. I have several calibur conversion barrel assemblies that can be swithched out via a screw build Id be more happy if the calibur information could be placed on the barrel. In the likely hood of up coming banns it would be nice if a sticky of the stamping requirements was added here. I relize of courese that nothing is required if im not transfering it ever.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Markings should all be on the receiver, with prior approval from ATF a manufacturer can get a variance from the regs and do it differently. Technically, once the info is on a non-NFA rifle there is no law preventing the removal of all the info except the serial # itself. A caliber conversion should have the caliber marked on the bbl, just put one on the receiver as well and know that the bbl marking is the correct one for that combo.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Per Federal law, serial number must be on receiver/frame 1/16" numbers/letters .003" deep minimum in conspicuous place. All other markings may be on receiver/frame or barrel in conspicuous place with same height and depth requirements. They may be stamped, cast, etched, or laser engraved. Home builds do not have to have any markings. (Note- For NFA regulated builds, you are considered a licensed manufacturer as you need an approved Form 1.)

-Yarro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

+1 as above

Feedback Score

Default Form 1 and abbreviations

You cannot use any abbreviations unless they are officially recognized. In contacting the ATF, the only approved abbreviations are the state codes. If you use your initials or other abbreviations it is a violation. When this is checked is if you dispose of the firearm at a later time through a form 4.
    David Goldman
    Gun Trust Lawyer Website Jacksonville Estate Planning Website
    904-685-1200 1-877-7GUN-LAW

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.