Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CA parts sale

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Default CA parts sale

what is the law sell AK parts to CA ? I know no high cap Mag, no Full auto FCG , it's there other law ? anyone know ?

卡拉希尼可夫突擊步槍

jrs
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejack View Post
    what is the law sell AK parts to CA ? I know no high cap Mag, no Full auto FCG , it's there other law ? anyone know ?
    Here's the PRK DOJ site.

Dangerous Weapons Control Laws - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
    Last edited by jrs; 12-11-2008 at 10:50 AM.
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

There is no law banning AK parts from coming into CA from another state, This includes the auto sear and FCG. The regulations is on the buyers side meaning that if he has a receiver and a auto sear his ass is in trouble. But from a sellers stand point there is no issue.

And yes Hi-cap mags are illegal to sell to anyone within CA unless that buyer has a hi cap mag license allowing them to purchase hi cap mags.
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I'm sure it is like Gunco said, the parts are legal to have, they are just parts. It's the end user that has to follow the laws.

jrs
    Feedback Score

To clarify Coils remark:

The shipper has a responsibility to ensure what he is shipping to CA is legal in CA. When I bought my FAL the dealer shipped in two segments. Because the rifle was shipped as parts it wasn't illegal. Before I could assemble it I had to put the fixed 10 rd magazine in. If you put the rifle together first and then magazine, it's an illegal weapon.

You as the shipper would be committing a conspiracy to import an illegal arm if the weapon is illegal in CA in its shipped configuration.

But, as Gunco said, "parts is parts". It's the assembled weapon that's illegal.

Don't you just love screwy laws.
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

are high cap mags allowed to be bought if its taken apart and sold as repair parts ?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I am only shipped the upper AK parts kit without receiver , barrel , gas tube, bolt , carrier, dust cover, recoil spring, that is all , no FCG, no Buttstock, no trigger guard, no stock set , no mags, I think I will be okey on that part

卡拉希尼可夫突擊步槍

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ruarmed View Post
    are high cap mags allowed to be bought if its taken apart and sold as repair parts ?
    I believe this is okay to do. I personally would not do that. I think it is pushing it.
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

jrs
    Feedback Score

You'd have parts, but if you assembled them you'd be in violation of the law unless you have the proper permit & license.
    jrs
    --

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejack View Post
    To answer your question specifically.

AK parts kits are legal to ship and to own in CA. No issues whatsoever. It is up to the end user to build legally. In fact all parts kits are legal to own.

Hi cap mags are illegal to import into CA. HOWEVER, and there exists a letter from DOJ on this. IF you disassemble the mags prior to sending into CA, than it is legal as it is considered a 'rebuild kit'. The end user can use these kits to legally repair their pre-2000 acquired magazines. They cannot reassemble the kits and build a new magazine otherwise they would be manufacturing which is illegal. In fact, CA residents can cross into Oregon or Nevada, AZ and purchase mags, disassemble them and cross back without breaking CA law.
    The only time they are legal to ship in their assembled form is to a- a dealer who possesess a hi-cap magazine license or b- a Law Enforcement Officer. However, LE's can just walk into a local store and purchase their own hi-caps mags without trouble.

You can own FCG in the case of an AK but it won't do much good as you will not be able to use. In fact some kits ship with them. 1919a4's come to mind.

In the case of rifles. The purchaser & seller would need to make sure that it is legal to own. Some are listed as Assault Weapons and are both illegal for civilians and LE to own. They have to be listed specificaly by make and model so for example, a 'FN' FAL is illegal, but a 'DSA' FAL is legal, a MAC 10 is illegal but a MAC 10A1 is legal. Now the condition. If it is not listed and legal to own, it must not be in an AW configuration. A centerfire semi auto rifle cannot have a pistol grip, detachable magazine and so forth. So to ship an AR-15, the pistol grip is removed, same with an AK, The lowers are removed on Uzi's clones , HK clones, FAL, etc. It is up to the buyer to configure it legally once taking posession. For the most part, the grips or lowers get sent to the purchasers home and the receiver to the FFL.

Pistols are a bit interesting, and without going into detail, most of them are legal to bring into CA, they just have to be configured a bit which is quite easy. If you want detail just let me know. I realize the post is rather long.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.