Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: atf address????

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default atf address????

I am going to write the ATF regarding the legalitys of selling a hombuilt fire arm made on a home built reciver. I also am going to write a seperate letter adressing the legalitys of building a virgine pistol reciver into a rifle then back to a pistol again. I plan on sending copys of those rifle kits for the 1911 45 autos and ask if they can be returned to pistol as well.

I saw the adress posted some were. does any one have it. also looking for avice on the wording of this and other questions to get the most direct answer.

was thinking some thing along the lines of .

I HAVE A RIFLE THAT I BUILT MYSELF ON A HOME MADE RECIVER FOR PERSONAL USE IT IS PROPERLY STAMPED WITH A SERIAL NUMBER AND OTHER INFO PER(WHAT EVER THE STATUTE FOR THAT IS) i WANT TO KNOW IF IT CAN BE SOLD OR TRANSFERD TO ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL AS I NO LONGER WISH TO OWN IT.

IF GUNS BUILT FOR PERSONAL USE CAN BE SOLD OR TRANSFERD WHAT IS THE GUDE LINES OF FOR PERSONAL USE? CAN A ffl DEALER TRANSFER A PROPERLY MARKED HOME MADE FIRE ARM?

IF LEGAL IS THERE A LIMIT IN HOW MANY OF MY PERSOANL USE WEAPONS MAY BE SOLD OR TRANSFERD??

IF PERSOANL USE HOME MADE FIRE ARMS ARE NOT PERMITED TO BE SOLD WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE TO BE FOLOWED WITH WHEN i DIE OR CAN NO LONGER LEGALY OWN A FIRE ARM?? CNA THESE BE HANDED DOWN TO FAMILY MEMBERS?

Im looking for any sugestions. Im sick of all the BS and guessing over tis issue. even though i may not like the answer I need a answer.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

From the ATF website:

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives cannot respond to e-mail inquiries relating to technical, policy and/or legal questions. Inquiries of this nature can only be addressed through a letter outlining your questions to the following address:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
    Office of Public and Governmental Affairs
    99 New York Ave. NE
    Mail Stop 5S144
    Washington, DC 20226

Question 1: What, if any, restrictions apply to transferring weapons that were built by a non-licensed individual for private use to other individuals?

Example: I built a firearm which conforms to the definition of a rifle, I now no longer wish to own this rifle, it is marked clearly per ATF guidelines with all required information. May I sell this firearm to another individual? May I transfer ownership of the firearm without selling it?

Is there a limit to the number of firearms that I may dispose of this way?

Example: I have a number of privately built firearms but no longer wish to maintain my collection. Is there a limit to the number of firearms that I may dispose of?

Is there a limit to the number of firearms that were built for private use that may be bequeathed to family members at the time of my death?

If for some reason in the future I were prohibited from owning these firearms could I legally transfer all of them to a family member or family members of my choosing?

Good luck with your questions.

Mark

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I am going to write the ATF regarding the legalitys of selling a hombuilt fire arm made on a home built reciver. I also am going to write a seperate letter adressing the legalitys of building a virgine pistol reciver into a rifle then back to a pistol again. I plan on sending copys of those rifle kits for the 1911 45 autos and ask if they can be returned to pistol as well.
    ATF is pretty clear on this, once a rifle, always a rifle. You can make a pistol a rifle, but you can never make a rifle a pistol.

Mark

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post 1biggun

If you would? please also ask about 100% receivers purchased through an FFL, as that is what I build on?
    My last dealing with the ATF, no offense Mr. ATF agent monitoring our site. Was a damn nightmare. Oh God was it a nightmare.
    Six agents, six different answers. None in writing, just phone conversations.
    Pray your letter gets to the correct agent who will give you the correct answer. A letter is the proper way to go.
    There are people on our gun sites better knowledgeable about the law than than. Oh God I did not say that.
    Make some phone calls first and find an agent who "wants" to help you.
    I found one and she went "above and beyond" the call of duty, to help me get my import license.
    Once you find a good agent, get there extension number, address and stick with them.
    They help you and send them a thank you card. I did. Most are gun owners, want to help, but oh God if you get an anti gun one.
    Thank You for sending those questions.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I wanted to build one of these,but I think they changed the law.Take apart and assemble in a dark room by yourself.
    Colt 1911 / 1911A1 Carbine Stock & Barrel Set | e-GunParts.com=
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ATF is pretty clear on this, once a rifle, always a rifle. You can make a pistol a rifle, but you can never make a rifle a pistol.

Mark
    there has been some debate to this the thompson contender for example. I have seen there letter regarding a build. Im the one who found it and posted it here. If a thompson encore can be made into a rifle and back to pistol then why cant I make up a set from scratch that does the same thing. they lost there battle in court but they still maintain that your breaking the law. It would likely take a court ruleing to resolve this. I still plan on asking cant really hurt if they say no.

If you would? please also ask about 100% receivers purchased through an FFL
    I can do that. some thing Like I have a rifle built on a previously unbuilt/virgin transferable reciver. is it leagal to sell this fire arm in a assembled configuration?????

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I wanted to build one of these,but I think they changed the law.Take apart and assemble in a dark room by yourself.
    Colt 1911 / 1911A1 Carbine Stock & Barrel Set | e-GunParts.com=
    i dont know about changing the law im not sure they were ever legal to swap back and forth. there are guys selling them now claimng there reversable. cheaper than dirt had them recentaly. with over 4000 posts on the net I am not even going to think about doing any thing possably illeagle.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Please post the answer you receive. I always though as long as the gun started off as a pistol then you could switch it back and forth as long as the stock isn't on the gun with a barrel shorter than 16".

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Please post the answer you receive. I always though as long as the gun started off as a pistol then you could switch it back and forth as long as the stock isn't on the gun with a barrel shorter than 16".
    I will post an y replies I get. the letter a read and is posted here smoe were says once a rifle always a rifle. like mentioned above. I had one time intended to makre a convertable set up but its on hold untill i get clarification

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post TO SELL OR NOT TO SELL..

Every day people are begging me to sell them one of my AKs.. No No NOOOOOO.!!!
    Now this is interesting. Questions like, "Can I give one to my niece for a Wedding present."??? Through a legal FFL transfer??? On a legal 100% receiver. Which brings us back to the insurance, construction lic. yada yada yada.
    Now I know she in not going to sue me on a malfunction. Cause I am going to leave her money.
    But would it be legal??
    Anyone ever study this disk? You have to be a lawyer to decipher the dang thing. "Under section II article 4 if your peeing while making your weapon, you are in violation of article XYZ." WHAT??
    Couple of more beers and I am calling the ATF and asking for a laymen's redneck guide to the rules.
    No kidding. Why don't they put it in human speak??? I'm really not calling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.