Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 922 compliance on AMD-63 build?

Feedback Score

Default 922 compliance on AMD-63 build?

As a newbie to the AK family builds (AR and FAL builds under my belt) I have had several questions about AK's. Most of my questions have been answered by careful research. However I have one that I haven't been able to come up with an answer for. That is:

Since the AMD-63 and AMD-65 have heat shields and pistol grips instead of hand guards, will replacing the stock and both pistol grips count as three US parts or do I have to replace the heat shield also?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Now, that's a damn good question..... I don't have an answer but it's good.

Then that would bring up another thought, if the 65 were left with the short barrel and had no stock installed could it be an AOW?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tac-40
    As a newbie to the AK family builds (AR and FAL builds under my belt) I have had several questions about AK's. Most of my questions have been answered by careful research. However I have one that I haven't been able to come up with an answer for. That is:

Since the AMD-63 and AMD-65 have heat shields and pistol grips instead of hand guards, will replacing the stock and both pistol grips count as three US parts or do I have to replace the heat shield also?
    I think in this case the hand guard is the metal (heat shield). The front pistol grip is on a part of it (i.e. instead of a two part front hand guard the 65 and 63 have a three part). If you were to replace the metal (why) with wood say from Ironwood Designs then I think you have one less part in your ten part count. (just my thoughts) Jack
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Feedback Score

well this is how I made My amd-65 build U.S.C 922R compliant,

Homemade receiver, that counts as an american part!!!

USA gas piston from tapco

USA made trigger group

and a USA made extended muzzle brake.

Thats 6 parts and a 16 1/4" barrel length, so I know my build was 100% legal.

Feedback Score

oops, i was off track with this thread.

hmmmm your right, the hungarian made pistol grip that is attatched to the sheet metal HG would probably count as a extra foreign made part.

and yes a AMD-65 with the foward p grip and No buttstock would meet the ATF requirements of an AOW!! Would only cost $5 to transfer on a form 4, instead of $200. That would be a project worth looking into!!!

Feedback Score

the amd without a brake would be a handful (it is with a side brake). i have extended the original brakes on mine by welding 1.5" of a same O.D. heavywall pipe, and cutting a third slot. this gets me to legal lengths for free.

when the aw ban expires, folders will fold, and an AOW with no stock will only be 1.5" shorter, and $200 more expensive.

patience, grasshopper.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

What' the scoop on this AOW transfer fee of $5? Does this mean you can make one of these and just fill out the paper work for $5 and you're set?

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tac-40

The heat shield is part of the front handguard set. Replacing just the pistol grip would leave part of the original imported set in place. Since it only counts as 1 U.S. part if you replace the upper AND lower handguard on a standard AK stock set, one would assume that both AMD pieces would need to be changed as well. Since no posts have surfaced indicating otherwise, would you be willing to take a chance arguing it with the guys who actually make these rules?

Just replace the fire control set, gas piston, and use a U.S. receiver and keep the Hungarian furniture. I never got a straight answer on the muzzle nut being a muzzle device or not, so pick up a U.S. copy of the nut or buy a U.S. brake that you like. If you're the handy type, make your own! All countable parts that YOU actually make are U.S. parts, so fire up the mill/lathe/dremel/etc. and have at it!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Do US made lower rails count towards the parts count?

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by yosuthnmasa
    Do US made lower rails count towards the parts count?
    Since they are not on the 922(r) list... No, they do not count.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.