Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Build after the sunset

Byg
    Feedback Score

You guys are forgetting the fact that even if the federal AWB expires,your state could simply pass there own To pick up were the feds left off,or even your city or municipality.If that happens I dont know if there would even be any grandfathering stuff....Always something ...I sure hope this doesnt play out though.Hate to be the cynic...

Roswell UFO survivor ZOID ZODIAN's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Byg
    You guys are forgetting the fact that even if the federal AWB expires,your state could simply pass there own To pick up were the feds left off,or even your city or municipality....

That won't happen in New Mexico. About the only thing that you don't dare get caught with in New Mexico is a switchblade. Our state constitution says we will only enforce the Federal firearms laws.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ZOID ZODIAN
    That won't happen in New Mexico. About the only thing that you don't dare get caught with in New Mexico is a switchblade. Our state constitution says we will only enforce the Federal firearms laws.
    West Virginia will be safe as well. We have pre-emption, so we don't have to worry about municipalities either.

There was a state senator several years ago who proposed an assault weapons ban and it ended his political career. It's never come up again. Our local politicos may have the collective IQ of a bag full of hammers, but they have long memories on this topic at least.

Feedback Score

Angry Well...

Maryland will probably ban water guns and those ever destructive water-balloons.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ZOID ZODIAN
    Your reasoning sounds a lot like mine; I use as my prima facie example the ban on barrels from parts kits being used to build new rifles.

I purchased a barrel with all the sight and gas block hardware back in 1998; therefore it qualifies for using it to build a rifle.

Other people who purchased their barrels too late found out that they could only be legally used for repair or replacement on a rifle that had already been built.

This is similar to the SKS bayonet nonsense, i.e., that a Russian, Yugo, or Romanian SKS is okay to have the bayonet, but don't dare install one on a Chinese SKS.

The way I see it, these Gummunt Bureecrats don't want to surrender any more of their power than they have to after the sunset, so OF COURSE they're going to interpret the sunset in the narrowest way possible:

1. Only imported rifles with 10 or fewer imported parts will qualify for pre-ban features.
    2. Only rifles (a.k.a. receivers) manufactured after the sunset date will quality for pre-ban features.
    3. Post-ban rifles will still qualify for the installation of the pistol grip, but only if the 10-or-fewer imported parts rule is adhered to.

So, the ultimate result will be, instead of all of this mess magically going away after September, BATFE will just add another class of weapons to the list, like the way Class III firearms are in different categories.

This is all just my "educated" speculation, but I predict we will see PRE-BAN, POST-BAN, AND POST-SUNSET classes of weapons after the expiration of the Assault Weapons Ban in September.

Only one problem there with your logic, which frankly is wrong on both issues.
    AWB sunsets, there is NO law prohibiting the features regardless of date of manufacture except 922r which relates to foreign parts count/unsporting foreign weapons. No ATF permission is needed.
    Zoid is simply being as silly as you in agreeing.
    The law is pretty clear in what it says if you take the time to read it.

We also can use any barrel we wish to build upon, so that's the second place you both are wrong. The disclaimer(and that's what it is) applies only to the importer and has ZERO bearing on third parties.

http://www.falparts.com/ftg.gif

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

To clarify a issue

The 1994 Assault Weapon Ban WILL DIE. PERIOD.
    It has a death sentence. They can not extend it.

Now the question is will they make a new ban?
    NOPE. They won't. No point to it. They said that it was pointless, no real results, death tolls still rose, crime still happened.

Now, I think they will do a ban on High Cap mags.
    Kinda go after AW and High caps and then settle just on High caps.
    Like a compromise.

Now, what will happen to POST-BAN guns after Sept 2004?

Simple. When the AW ban of 94 dies (and it will) then it did not exist.
    Therefore there will be no more PREBAN or POSTBAN since there is NO MORE BAN. The ATF can not rule that guns made from 94 to 04 can not be assault weapons because there will be no LAW concerning AW's with the exception of 922R.

The only thing you need to do is make sure that you follow 922-R which is the 10 parts rule. That is not covered under the 94 AWB.

Now, here is something to think about.
    What will happen to all of those LEO only guns and mags when the AWB dies?
    Does it mean that since they are not illegal that you could own them even though they are marked LEO only??

I think YES.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DrugRunR
    To clarify a issue

The 1994 Assault Weapon Ban WILL DIE. PERIOD.
    It has a death sentence. They can not extend it.

Now the question is will they make a new ban?
    NOPE. They won't. No point to it. They said that it was pointless, no real results, death tolls still rose, crime still happened.

Now, I think they will do a ban on High Cap mags.
    Kinda go after AW and High caps and then settle just on High caps.
    Like a compromise.

Now, what will happen to POST-BAN guns after Sept 2004?

Simple. When the AW ban of 94 dies (and it will) then it did not exist.
    Therefore there will be no more PREBAN or POSTBAN since there is NO MORE BAN. The ATF can not rule that guns made from 94 to 04 can not be assault weapons because there will be no LAW concerning AW's with the exception of 922R.

The only thing you need to do is make sure that you follow 922-R which is the 10 parts rule. That is not covered under the 94 AWB.

Now, here is something to think about.
    What will happen to all of those LEO only guns and mags when the AWB dies?
    Does it mean that since they are not illegal that you could own them even though they are marked LEO only??

I think YES.
    I also think yes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

My friend Bob raises a good point. They should be cheaper too. Jack
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Byg
    You guys are forgetting the fact that even if the federal AWB expires,your state could simply pass there own To pick up were the feds left off,or even your city or municipality.If that happens I dont know if there would even be any grandfathering stuff....Always something ...I sure hope this doesnt play out though.Hate to be the cynic...

Well I live in Illinois and our Governor is just like Mayor Daley of Chicago. HE HATES GUNS, and last month tried to pull a fast one by wanting to trade letting eighteen year olds get FOID (Firearm Owner IDentification) cards without a parents signature for letting him pass an Illinois AWB law. How stupid does he think we are? Real stupid I guess, after all he's a Democrat and they think they?re better than the rest of us. The FOID change would just give a person eighteen the right to not only die for our country but also to buy rifles and shotguns (not pistols) without Mom and Pop?s signature. Moving to Las Vegas is looking better all the time!
    "Moss Isley spaceport. You'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"
    (Actually this better describes Washington than Moss Isley)

Feedback Score

zoidiac said

"Your reasoning sounds a lot like mine; I use as my prima facie example the ban on barrels from parts kits being used to build new rifles.

I purchased a barrel with all the sight and gas block hardware back in 1998; therefore it qualifies for using it to build a rifle.

Other people who purchased their barrels too late found out that they could only be legally used for repair or replacement on a rifle that had already been built. "

truth is the barrels are only prohibited from being used in the manufacture of weapons that would be prohibited from importation by specific sections of the code. i.e. assault weapons configurations or guns with more than 10 foreign parts. no prohibition on the use of these barrels in manufacture of "sporting rifles". use the right number of parts, defeat the lug, solder the threads and you're good to go.

wrong again, zode. stick with something you know about, like calling in alien landings, and stuff.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.