Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Build after the sunset

Feedback Score

Default Build after the sunset

After the awb sunsets and if we have a small window of opportunity I have a build in mind. I would like to build(or have built) a pmkms with the functioning folder, barrel threads and bayo. lug. Will I have to purchase my reciever after the sunset to make it legal or can I get the reciever now and not build it 'till after the sunset? It'd be nice to gather all the parts and wait to assemble them, but something tells me that the serial# on the reciever will tell the date and therefore decide it's legal status. Thanks for any help.
    how's it look?
    .....it looks loud!!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

My thought is that "if" the ban sunsets then there won't be any pre or post bans anymore per se. It will be like it never happened in the first place. So one could add all the features to guns manufactured during those 10 years.

I do personally agree that there will only be a "window" of opportunity. Just think of the mad rush to buy everything up. Then think about the builds, are you going to have to take it to an FFL to "register" it? hmmm....
    Last edited by kevin_m4; 03-20-2004 at 10:58 PM. Reason: another thought

Feedback Score

Not sure anyone knows. I feel that if the ban would expire, that the new features will be allowed on current production firearms as well as those made after the expiration.

Roswell UFO survivor ZOID ZODIAN's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Supposedly, someone over at the Forbidden Zone (Goonsnet) contacted the ATF and they said that only receivers manufactured AFTER THE DATE THE BAN SUNSETS will be eligible for pre-ban features.

My humble opinion: no one, including ATF, will know until September.

I say chill out until then. (You can't do your build until after the sunset anyway, so this gives you time to find out for sure).

Feedback Score

That's 'bout what I thought. I've planned to sit on my parts kit anyway. I was just trying to get a jump start while staying legal.

thanks guys.
    how's it look?
    .....it looks loud!!

Feedback Score

What is simple is true..........

When (if) the AWB expires it is no longer a law , therefore there will be no pre/post/during ban guns,only semi-autos.

Think of it like Prohibition,while that law was in effect booze was illegal.

The day Prohibition was overturned booze was legal.

It is just that simple.

AWB in effect no bayonet lugs, etc.

After AWB expires bayonet lugs, etc will be legal on all semi autos , PERIOD !

A law that is no longer a law IS NOT ENFORCEABLE !

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

In this attorney's humble (yea who ever heard of a humble attorney) the things Triangle 66 said are absolutely correct. If the law sunsets, there is no law, nothing, nada, zip, etc. Any passage of a law thereafter and attempt to wrap newly feeded weapons, would be expost facto, ie unconstitutional. Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Triangle 66
    What is simple is true..........
    When (if) the AWB expires it is no longer a law , therefore there will be no pre/post/during ban guns,only semi-autos.

Think of it like Prohibition,while that law was in effect booze was illegal.

The day Prohibition was overturned booze was legal.

It is just that simple.

AWB in effect no bayonet lugs, etc.

After AWB expires bayonet lugs, etc will be legal on all semi autos , PERIOD !

A law that is no longer a law IS NOT ENFORCEABLE !
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Feedback Score

So applying that logic, I could have all my parts and the reciever sitting in a box. The day of the sunset I could start the build and it would be legal regardless of the date of manufacture of the reciever. After thinking about it for a minute that makes sense, after the sunset the law no longer exists. So there will be no pre-, post- or post-post-ban, just a sweet underfolder pmkms in my safe. :woo:

I would still like to get BATFE's interpretation of the situation first.

I've got a couple of months to wait on my reciever yet.
    how's it look?
    .....it looks loud!!

Roswell UFO survivor ZOID ZODIAN's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by pmbiker
    I would still like to get BATFE's interpretation of the situation first.
    A wise move.

I am hopeful that scubadvr's interpretation is correct, but I know from too much experience that BATFE is sometimes capricious enough to dream up regulations where a "law" technically doesn't exist. Witness how barrels from parts kits were once perfectly acceptable for new rifle builds, but now are not. From what I understand of that situation, the only difference was a change in "interpretation" of existing regulations.

As another example, right after the 1989-1990 ban on imported assault rifles, it was unknown by local gunshops for months whether it was actually legal or not to stick a hi-cap mag in a MAK90. One gunshop I dealt with patently refused to sell hi-cap AK mags at the same time you bought the rifle. You had to come back another day for the mags!

In my local shooting club, different people have called BATFE asking primarily the same question, and have gotten different answers.

Unfortunately, this just adds to the confusion.

I read one post where the person suggested that after the ban sunsets, the major manufacturers will bend over backwards to be in compliance with whatever rules emerge or go away, and it will therefore be safe to do as these manufacturers do. It may, however, take months for the exact scenario to emerge.

Feedback Score

zoid is also correct, it seems as of lately, the ATF have been able to write federal law with the wave of their wand...

I belive they will make every attempt to screw us..

Also kepp very watchfull of clandestine attempts to instate a new ban under the radar, All 3 C-SPAN networks have become regular viewing for me..And should be for all of us...Remember, they don't need a gun bill, to attach a ammendment to, they can use anything....
    Repeal FOPA NOW!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.