Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is no stock legal?

Feedback Score

Question Is no stock legal?

K-var has this swivel block and if the barrel is 16" or more can I use this? Now or after the sunset?

http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?3=341

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I would think as long as you maintain at least 26".

Feedback Score

IIRC, that will be just shy (25 1/2" ??) of 26" Over All Length and would be illegal.

A rifle has to have a barrel atleast 16" and be 26" OAL.

Now,the good news,POST AWB why not make a AK pistol with a virgin receiver and that rear trunion. You could have a nice short ,say 8",barrel, which would be more convienent.

A AMD-65 parts kit minus the rear stock trunion using the above trunion would be neat (and legal) as long as you didn't install the forward pistol grip on it.

Feedback Score

Question Overall length.

Quote Originally Posted by Triangle 66
    IIRC, that will be just shy (25 1/2" ??) of 26" Over All Length and would be illegal.

A rifle has to have a barrel atleast 16" and be 26" OAL.

How about a barrel extension? Muzzle brake? Would that help?

Feedback Score

Yep, as long as it is 26" or more. I'm not sure if it would have to be permanantly attached.

Feedback Score

after the ban expires (fingers crossed), I plan on building a Krinkov pistol. What will be sweet, is that I will not have to have a magazine or drum permanently welded onto the gun. US parts will still be required though, because that was part of the import ban of 89'

Feedback Score

tricky question. i see trunnion blocks in use, and a muzzle attachment permanently attached (silv soldered) would make the overall length over 26.

the sticking point is the definition of "a rifle". gca 1968 says
    "...a weapon...intended to be fired from the shoulder..."
    44-921-7

don't see any other guidance to allow the use of a trunnion block.

of course, this doesn't mean i haven't bent a peice of 1.25 X .120 flat bar into a snakecharmer butt that plugs into the rear of a certain romanian i have and brings the length question to resolution at the same time..

Feedback Score

Question hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter
    tricky question. i see trunnion blocks in use, and a muzzle attachment permanently attached (silv soldered) would make the overall length over 26.

the sticking point is the definition of "a rifle". gca 1968 says
    "...a weapon...intended to be fired from the shoulder..."
    44-921-7

don't see any other guidance to allow the use of a trunnion block.

of course, this doesn't mean i haven't bent a peice of 1.25 X .120 flat bar into a snakecharmer butt that plugs into the rear of a certain romanian i have and brings the length question to resolution at the same time..
    I guess another part of the question would be if the muzzle brake when welded is still considered to be another part or part of the barrel? So, is it a pistol, rifle, or other and what laws apply?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAKG
    I guess another part of the question would be if the muzzle brake when welded is still considered to be another part or part of the barrel? So, is it a pistol, rifle, or other and what laws apply?
    I think the catch is that it has to be a virgin receiver, because once it's a rifle it's always a rifle, and you end up inadvertently building a short barreled rifle if you buy a rifle receiver and build it into a pistol. If you make your own receiver and build it into a handgun there is no issue. The problem with getting 100% finished receivers is that they are normally sold as rifle receivers and "once it's a rifle it's always a rifle." However, if you purchase a receiver that was built and sold for the purposes of building a pistol it should be no problem.

Currently the issue with building an AK pistol is the 50 oz. weight limit. If September passes by without a renewal then there won't be such an issue and you can build one with or without a flash hider regardless if it is permanently attached. Just don't ever put a buttstock on it because then, once again, you have built a short barreled rifle. Don't you just love these intelligent, well-crafted gun laws?

But wait! There's more!

There is another catch to this. An AK type pistol really lends itself to a vertical foregrip. The problem is that if you attach a vertical foregrip ahead of the magazine then it becomes an AOW which is an NFA weapon. Not an expensive one because of the $5 tax stamp, but still a pain to get transferred nonetheless.

All of the above is not to be taken as gospel. If I were you I would check other sources for the accuracy of the information. It is based on my own hearsay and question asking over the years and I would want someone to verify the info before acting on it.

If I have mispoken and given incorrect information I would hope that someone corrects me on this thread.

I hope this helps. Personally I plan on making an AK pistol variant after September. I might even go for the AOW.
    ?Now the revenue man wanted gran?daddy bad,
    He headed up the holler with ever?thing he had,
    It?s b?fore my time but I been told,
    He never came back from Copperhead Road??
    - Steve Earle

Feedback Score

aow costs 200$ to manufacture, and 5$ to transfer. don't do it. just wrap that sucker in heat tape, cut off the barrel in front of the gas block, and go to town. no foreign parts required in building a pistol. they are not covered by the 89 ban. read it yourself.

grade 3 amd 65 at 79$, tapco flat at 15$, plus 120 days = 30 cal ak pistul for 94$ each. at that price, i'm building 10.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.