Thread: altering manufactors stamp

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

Default altering manufactors stamp

I am wondering if anyone can say with any certainty if their is any legal issue with drilling a hole through the manufactors name and address info. NOT the serial number. The new made vulcan recievers have had the ser number moved so we can build useing the folders. however the manufactors info is still going to be in the way. you would think they would have done something about this during the change, rite. oh well....
    if I drill and rivet through the name is this a NO NO like serial number Anyony that can advise will be appreciated THANKS

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrel
    I am wondering if anyone can say with any certainty if their is any legal issue with drilling a hole through the manufactors name and address info. NOT the serial number. The new made vulcan recievers have had the ser number moved so we can build useing the folders. however the manufactors info is still going to be in the way. you would think they would have done something about this during the change, rite. oh well....
    if I drill and rivet through the name is this a NO NO like serial number Anyony that can advise will be appreciated THANKS
    the text reads " ...obliteration of a manufacturer's unique marking...", however, i've seen this done, and don't believe it is a significant impropriety to cover a small part of a mark that is otherwise obviously identifiable. the intent of the law is to prevent an individual from hindering an identification of the object. hiding a few letters on the makers name won't prevent a reasonably knowledgeable individual from identifying it's maker, and thereby tracking it by it's serial number.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

hotbarrel......

The law is the law, it's how one interrupts the law that is the deciding factor and since none of us will be doing that but the BATF will, I would ask them and get a response in writing.

Becareful, don't put yourself in a situation, get the facts.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

thanks guys I think you are correct in getting an ok from atf. boy that realy dose not sound easy compilcated forms , photos , fancy written letter . I think I am scerwed

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

It's not really a BIG deal. Just call the local office, ask what is needed as far as paperwork and the address you send it to. Provide what they want (next day mail) and send it in. Better safe than sorry or just do it (drill the hole) and take your chances. But you have to ask yourself, is it really worth it?

Yeah, you will have to wait for a reply but at least you know what the deal is from them. We don't need any good people in jail or harrassed. Anyone else can tell you it's okay to do but the BATF are the ones with the "REAL" answer.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrel
    thanks guys I think you are correct in getting an ok from atf. boy that realy dose not sound easy compilcated forms , photos , fancy written letter . I think I am scerwed
    It's really not that hard. CAll the local ATF office and ask for the address of the ATFE Technical Department.

DON'T ASK THE LOCAL OFFICE IF IT IS LEGAL OR NOT!! They will not know, and if they give you the wrong answer, you are screwed. Write the tech branch and wait for a ruling.

Av.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

thanks Avalon01
    I guess I will give it a try . by the way welcome to the sight, it is allways good to see new names sign on

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.