Thread: The new NewYork gun laws

somewhere in the Bristol Hills Upstate NY
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default The new NewYork gun laws

I would like to hear in laymans terms the new laws that Dictator Cuomo put into effect.

Feedback Score

Default Ny Laws in laymans terms

Quote Originally Posted by crazymurph View Post
    I would like to hear in laymans terms the new laws that Dictator Cuomo put into effect.
    No more high capicity magizines, or what is considered assualt type weapons,only seven rounds magizines allowed. However cuomo was in such a rush to pass this bill they left out police officers since they carry 13 round mags with two spares, some shotguns are over seven rounds, I would say well you wrote the bill make it stick, no special previledges what is law is law. and the police have inforce the law. and it is now law and cuomo is in such a hurry to be in the media he cant even write a bill correctly. So my advise to new yorkers is petition Albany to let the law stand or repeal it once and for all. and most of all get that goof out of office. when I seen him at speaking about gun control and his bills all he needed was a little moustach and speak in german, but of course he could be mouseolenni reincarnated! you cannot no longer purchase certain parts, or any parts kits for that matter under the new law. Also if you do so research is was once looked into that the ole man mario had any ties to organized crime, but nothing ever came of it even though ( to the best of my understanding) a ticket was fixed for a member of organized crime the states that gun owners want to stay away from is as Folows, NY, NJ, MICH, Ill, Conn, and a few other s that come to mind. New Yorkers got the shaft and in the middle of the night like most cowardly politicans I hope his whole bill falls apart in his lap, one group just filed a law suit against the goverment Firearm task force, Presedent Obama, and his side kick biden, the same should be done in Ny state...Doc
    Last edited by dcholl; 02-18-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Feedback Score

The following will answer some of the more common questions associated with the new
    legislation as it currently exists:

What guns are banned in New York?Bans semi-automatic rifles, shotguns and pistols purchased after Jan. 15, 2013 that have more than one prohibited feature – such as a pistol grip, a folding stock or a flash suppressor. This is the state’s new definition of an assault weapon. The ban does not cover pistol grip shotguns.

What about semi-automatic guns bought before Jan. 15?
    Those weapons must be registered with the New York State Police by Jan. 16, 2014. After that, those who don’t meet the deadline could face a misdemeanor charge for failing to register. Those who knowingly possess an unregistered gun could face a felony charge. The registry is supposed to be up and running in the next 90 days.

Is it simply a registration or is it a background check?
    The registration will trigger a background check through New York’s National Instant Criminal Background Check system.

I have a semi-automatic rifle with two “assault weapon” characteristics, the allowable
    amount until Tuesday. Do I have to modify the gun so it only has one “assault weapon”
    feature?

No.
    But I have to register it?
    Yes.

What if I want to sell the gun instead of participating in the registry?
    You have a year to sell your semi-automatic to an out-of-state dealer. After a year, you can only transfer it to spouse, domestic partner or a child.

What about magazines?
    You have a year to get rid of any magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds (typically the 30-round magazines grandfathered in under the 1994 state law that previously defined assault weapons and gun restrictions). Under the new law, you can still use 10-round magazines, though legally you can only load a maximum of seven bullets at a time.

Am I supposed to throw away the magazines that hold more than 10 rounds?
    You can sell them to an out-of-state dealer during the next year or disable them.

Are there required background checks now for ammunition sales?
    Yes, through New York’s NICS.

I heard there are more safe storage requirements.
    Yes. You must secure guns in your home if you live with a convicted felon, someone with
    mental health issue or someone under an order of protection. Failure to do so is a misdemeanor.

Will anything in the new law limit police officers’ capacities?
    No, though that exact language was left out of the original bill. The governor and lawmakers have agreed to codify it in the final law.

What about people who use guns illegally?
    There are a host of harsher penalties for those who break the laws when it comes to illegal gun buys, using guns in a crime, brandishing a gun on school grounds, or shooting a child or first responder. Here’s a summary:

*Makes killing a first responder responding to an emergency a first-degree murder charge.
    *Creates a mandatory five-year minimum prison sentence for anyone who uses a loaded firearm during a drug sale or violent felony.
    *Creates a mandatory three-and-a-half year minimum prison sentence for using an unloaded gun during any drug sale or violent felony.
    *Increases penalties for “straw purchasers,” people who can easily pass a background check who buy guns for others. The crime goes from a misdemeanor to a Class D felony.
    *Makes it a felony to possess a gun on school grounds or a school bus.
    *Ups punishment for people, often gang members, who use community or shared guns to
    commit crimes.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

In laymans terms.

What they did is not legal.

Feedback Score

Advise...

If you live in NY. Move!
    God so loved the world He gave his only Son...
    ...Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

Feedback Score

I', sorry Ive said this before but since the idoit cuomo was in such a rush to put thru a weapons ban, eathier repeal the ban toatally and leave thing s alone. or if you choose to let it staand all police and corrections officers and security officers should have to abide by the same rules. to bad so sad! whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Im sorry Im tired of the double standard and Rosie O'donnel better have her body guards change back the old 38's if it was good enough for police back in the day and, still armored car Officers still carry them, its good enough for them too. beside who the hell wants to even bother with that media pig anyway...Doc
    Last edited by dcholl; 02-18-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by dcholl View Post
    I', sorry Ive said this before but since the idoit cuomo was in such a ruch to put thru a weaponas ban, eathier repeal the ban toatally and leave thing s alone. or if you choose to let it staand all police and corrections officers and security officers should have to abode by the same rules. to bad so sad! whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Im sorry Im tired of a double standard and Rosie O'donnel better have her body guards change back the old 38's if it was good enough for police back in the day and still armored car Oddicers still carry them, uts good enough for them too. beside who the hell wants to even bother with that media pig anyway...Doc
    Good points... Post Chris Dorner maybe cops should not even be allowed to carry guns either. We should go like UK.
    God so loved the world He gave his only Son...
    ...Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

Feedback Score

There is also going to be another fall out, with Mr. Mighty Big Mouth Cuomo"s new weapons ban!. In New York State You have some of the Biggest Firearm dealers in the Country. Remington Firearms in Ilion NY. This is historic plant it has been manufacturing firearms since the civil war and provided the union with many handguns for the war effort. YOu also have Numrich Gun parts in West hurley New York, this company is better know as Auto Ordanance who brought us the famous Thompson sub-machine gun, that helped many of our GI's In WWll, Korea, and was even used in some cases in Vietnam. Now with these companies they may have to move to save thier bussiness, since they make products that are now considered on the ban list. Cuomo is so wrapped up in himself, he forgot what the major fallout will be! and it will be the folowing if his stupid ban is allowed to remain Law. lets start with the following shal we?

1.) There is going to be alot of unemployment, espically from the remington side and since they I believe they just aquired tapco and another company, where are these people going to work Ithica Firarms? Last time I was in NY they were talking about reopening I dont knowwheather they did or not if they have I;m sure there staff is full once you get into a firarms manufacturing plant you stay for life! the money is just to good for its employees.

2.) You have numrich Arms located in West hurley new York they have everything from bb gun parts to cannons & Mig cockpits and everthing inbetween. again this company will not be able to sell many items in new york state. And when I lived there the UPS guy was at my house a few time a week, for parts that I ordered for making veterans displays, parts for antique firarms i restored and sold in my business. again we are going to have once again major unemplyment in this companys industry. I do not belive for one second that these companies will just up and close thier doors, and go out of bussiness.

3.) And now for the biggie guess what with these companies gone, and they have to move because of political bullshit ( Sarco in New Jersey is a good example- they have moved thier operation to PA!) what at loss here other than jobs, the unemployment rate will skyrocket and the biggest thing of all is that there will be no more sales tax being paid to the state of New York, which means they will loos Millions in tax revenue! and this will place the state in dire strights. So the only Conclusion is to raise sales tax across the state in all counties to make up for the lost revenue In plain english You guys are gonna get screwed real bad by dumbo cuomo and his rush to judgement. My advise to all the new yorkers is get the fuck out of the state.Before you are taxed to death, as if your not already. Cuomo has violated the constution and the rights of the second amedments of the citizans of NY State. When you apply for a Handgun permit as I said before they dont care about your constutional second amendment rights, as far as NY authorties are concerned no one needs a handgun, so they deny as many permit applications as possible. Mr Cuomo has a big yap and why his security detail is made uop of NY State Police Officers. Let Ciomo provide his own Security detail, give him a 38 or 357 and say her ya go boy your now on your own! and see who well he dose. He would be so scared he would be crapping his pants everytinme he went out the door to report for work. As for myself all the bleeding hearts who say that firearms have no place in our civil society had better take a long look at history, and read the newpaper everyday,
    so that they may get an education. But as far as You New Yorkers who wish to excersise your second amendment rights, the best adveis eI can givce to you is find anoither state to move to. Becaiuse if you think takes are high now! wait until NY starts loosing millions of sales and property taxes on the bussiness that will leave NY and if you happen to work with one of these companies and they may have to move to save thier bussiness , and they offer you a position and you have to relocate for your job just do it
    you will be much better off, and you will watch cuomo go down with his stupid law he passed He juast wanted to be first on the block to legsislate this bulldshit bill, an personally I hope it ruins his carreer, and he goes away in shame like a the dog he is with his tail between his legs. These people are no worse than those who confiscated guns in the second world war in Nazi Germany, If you look deep enough the plan is the same! all teh way around, wait until the new artical of the cattle cars that were ordered with schackles mounted inside the box cars. This is only the begginning the worst is yet to come...Doc

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.