View Full Version : Sticky side-folder :(
02-05-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm kinda stumped with this. The side folder on this build doesn't hinge properly. Well, it hinges correctly, but the locking mechanism doesn't allow it to swing into the unfolded position. It acts as if the spring is too tight, or the locking hook is too long, and you have to push the button on the LH side to let the stock properly engage into the unfolded position.
It is even worse when trying to unlock it to swing it into the folded position. My thumb hurts so hard when pressing this that I've resorted to pushing on it with a block of wood or the handle of some pliers, to get it to disengage from the stock.
After playing with it, and comparing it to my "good" side-folder builds, it seems that the engagement lug is longer. This is from a recently purchased Bulgy kit. However, the older purchase was ALSO from a Bulgy side folder! :confused:
Furthermore, I decided to polish it a bit with the 'ol Dremel polishing wheels. WELL - it made it release slightly better, but not by much. I'm stumped.
I don't know at this point if I should start to grind it down shorter, or if there is maybe another thing to address? Thoughts?
02-06-2006, 12:41 AM
I have built about 12 sidefolders and yes some are really tight and some need "fitting" The tight ones are usally because the hole in the receiver and the hole on the trunnion are not lined up just right and it causes the cilender part of the locking meckinsm to bind ever so slightly. Put a long stone on your dremmel and polish/enlarge the receiver hole and trunnion hole working it up and down and around and around. The locking lug of the catch is likely too long as you say. I have seen it. Looks like poor quility control on the parts or we might be getting factory rejects. Just keep working the hook/wedge part of it down until it works, that;s what I do then I put some Navel Jelly on the freashly cut metal to lightly phosphate coat them. I just keep playing (fileing and polishing) until it works the way I want it to. I hav'nt ruined one yet.
02-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks for that info, Steelcore. Its always good to get confirmation before you go a-grinding on something! :)
02-06-2006, 09:32 PM
We had one that was tight as shit.
It would lock up, and then you had to REALLY push the release button HARD to get it to release.
Took a little filing and it was good to go.
Don't GRIND just file. Go slow.
I beleive we filed on the end of the stock but check with kevin, he will remember I am sure......
BTW how is the krink barrel project coming??
02-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the info DRR. I'll PM him to get his take on it. I guess I've been lucky and this is the first one I've ran into. I was worried that I screwed something up but everything looks & measures correctly. Well, it is in spec anyway :)
The project is coming along - barrel is "measured" and I think I'm ready to mail it back. I'll be doing that either tomorrow or Wednesday.
I haven't made a big announcement yet because I've been busy with other things but I was able to post all the measurements on my Dimensions page here:
I have not yet made a Visio diagram of the barrel, which I want to do and make it into a JPG. This week is a slow week at work, so I may be able to sneak it in sometime.
02-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Great news on the BP...
Might have some work for ya down the road..... Me and Kev been talking about a special project but more on that later...
Yeah it was wierd on the sidefolder...
It was all new russian parts (the saiga krink project).
Basically filed the little pad on the end of the stock where it mates to the back of the trunion. You will see a little pad (talking from memory). But talk to Kev he will remember I am sure....
02-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Jerry -- Those dimensions are great.
02-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Jerry -- Those dimensions are great.
Thanks! Credit where it is due - that page started as a copy of the info from the AA-OK site just in case they ever go offline. I've since added tons of stuff to that page and I think I still have tons more to add.
02-07-2006, 11:31 PM
After, before or at anytime try wd-40 man! I just tried it on another stuck ak-part and after 2-3 sprays the thing was moving like a charm! Otherwise that filin idea sound great... Jc