View Full Version : AMD65 Build has Success written all over it.
02-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Well, It took a bit but I really wanted to take my time with this build. Except for painting the Receiver it is "DONE".
Started out with a like new AMD kit from Centerfire for $99.
bent at the VA buildfest on Steelcores Jig back in October.
FSE Single hook trigger from RPB $29.95
Mag Baseplate and followers from RPB 10 sets $10
And a Tapco Ext. Muzz Brk. $20
Build cost <$180 not counting travel time to VA and PA and personal efforts.
Details of build to come...And adventure in itself.:headspin:
02-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Looks good :) Love the handguards
02-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Very Nice! Love those handguards :)
02-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Actually, I guess that I forgot about the Hanguard upgrade.
Polish Wood,(from Poland no less, lol) Handguards and grip $35
After fitting the Trunions, front and rear, and trimnming the top rails at home I made contact with one of our favorite Tutorial Writers, The one and only,
Toten Kopf to plan a get together.
Well last weekend worked out perfect timewise for us and I took a scenic drive to PA.
After getting the BS-ing out of the way we got down to work.
There went the first hour. LOL.
02-20-2005, 04:48 PM
We used the Pookie style Bolt cutter rivet crusher on the front 4 rivets
(Front trunion). Sweet.
Then came the first headache.
Somehow during the dimpling of the receiver on the rear 2 holes of the F.T.
with a Plinkers Jig, the receiver got twisted.
Hard to explain but looking at it from the side it kinda looked like a SIN wave.(~)
That took both of us by surprise and we were dumbfounded as to how it happened. After a bit we gave up trying to figure that out and began to think on how to fix the problem or could we even do that. Or should we just scrap the receiver all to gether.
Going back to the drawing board TK broke out his steel plates and we filled the center of the rec with the proper dim. of steel and used 2 plates, 1 each top and bottom and his 20 ton press to sandwich the receiver in hopes of flattening it out, which it did, mostly. After a few go around with the plates we were back in shape.
Crushed to rivets and were on to working on the lower rails.
After fitting for the bolt and heat treating we were soon welding.
After that we pressed the barrel getting it extremely close on the first try.
BUT thinking that we were ahead of the game,
Then came the next problem...
The Trigger Guard.
Went to crush the rivets and somehow it ended up not flat or tight to the rec. when we crushed the rivets, and ended up with crushed rivets nice and tight to 1 side but about a .020 gap on the other. PORK, how did that happen we asked each other.
Well, it turns out the rec bottom was slightly rounded, not flat, which caused a slight rotation upon crushing.
Time was now getting short as Mrs. TK was due home at any time.
So we cut the rivets out but due to a bit of rushing ended up cutting the triggerguard plate in half on one side. PORK x 2
Fortunately TK had a spare Triggerguard and we proceeded to mount it.
But first flattening the receiver bottom so that this time the plates would sit flat.
We called it a day.
Then over the last week I took my time and mounted the rear trunion.
My 6" vise worked very well for this surprisingly.
Also did extremely well for pressing in the Barrel Pin. and the Center Support.
After checking the headspace and fitting the magwell a bit I stepped out back for a Salutory handfull of rounds to check function.
Feeding, firing, extraction and ejection were no problem and as expected.
I hereby call this build a success.
02-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Minwax Red Mahogany with Tung Oil about 6 coats.
I'll probably do the receiver tonight or tomorrow and post a final pic. when I do.
To Steelcore for the use of his jig,
To Toten Kopf for the use of his Shop and tools,
and especially for his patience when things went awry,
To DrugRunr for helping me get the Polish Handguards and grip
And to all the helpful folks here at Gunco.
Which as far as I'm concerned is 1 of the best sites on the web!
Oh and to add, Final thoughts;
Take you time, do not try to hurry things, a small goof can turn into lots of time lost or even a ruined receiver.
Measure carefully, once you've made the cut there's no going back.
Dremel cut-off wheels are very nice but can take a lot of material off fast.
Using the proper tools really helps things but 2 things to that end;
1) even the proper tools can pork things up if you aren't very carefull.
It really helps to have a second person handy to look at things while someone else works the tool or press.
2) It's amazing how many of the tools can me made or improvised with only a bit of fore-thought.
02-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Looks REALLY good man:)
02-21-2005, 01:15 AM
I must admit the build from "HELL" turned out nice. You did a good job with the rear sling swivel also.
I think your right about what caused the receiver to sine wave...LOL I think I'll open up the holes a little before doing the rivet dimple thing.
As you were, I was amazed at how easy the hcpookie bolt cutter rivet tool worked. I think cutting the rivets shorter helped, need to remember that on the next one.
All in all, you have a very nice AMD-65, and the story that goes with it is a winner too. You can't buy that kind of fun.