Initially I had thought Heller was going to come out today (Monday). Probably Wednesday or Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed for three things. 1) Individual right. 2) Fundamental right, and 3) strict scrutiny.
Scalia is certainly taking his time writing up the majority position. Rumor has it, Scalia is actually a 'gun guy' so its being left up to him, and he's taking a bit longer to get it right. The court probably has to agree on/create a set of guidelines, or general rules.
Wish I could swing a DC trip just to listen to the decision being read on the court steps.
(I've taken this from another forum posted by [Only registered and activated users can see links. ])
I think everyone is aware but I wanted to again place all the "how to follow it" details in one place. Heller may be released tomorrow. I give it a 40% chance and think instead they will add another day for Thursday (6/26 - 60%) and release it then. However, if it is released tomorrow it will be between 7AM Pacific and 8AM Pacific most likely.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] will be liveblogging the orders and opinions tomorrow. They are [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] tomorrow (and Thursday if that happens) and even made changes to their site to support it. The liveblog app autoupdates and I highly recommend it.
I am awaiting the decision myself. I believe, and hope, that it will be favorable to individual rights. Though with the pull the anti-gun movement has in washington right now, I am wondering if it will be favorable. But most of all I would like for the anti-gun movement to learn to read. If they could do that the problem would solve itself.
Two Combat Tours
Criminal Justice Major.
15 years of shooting under the belt
Collection of both modern and antique handguns and rifles STILL A YOUNG MAN WITH LOTS OF TIME
(Wishful thinking) I wouldnt worry TOO much, the general feeling since this fell into the lap of the SCOTUS is that, since most judges are conservative, that individual gun rights will be UPHELD by the courts.
I sure hope so.
The Court has released the opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller (07-290), on whether the District’s firearms regulations – which bar the possession of handguns and require shotguns and rifles to be kept disassembled or under trigger lock – violate the Second Amendment. The ruling below, which struck down the provisions in question, is affirmed.
Justice Scalia wrote the opinion. Justice Breyer dissented, joined by Justices Stevens, Souter and Ginsburg. We will provide a link to the decision as soon as it is available.
Tom Goldstein - Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm.