Gunco Forums banner

Very poor man's bend jig - lol

171K views 259 replies 126 participants last post by  Sprat 
#1 ·
Ok, I can't even believe this worked. I made it with some 1" angle and 1 1/4" bars from lowes. :headspin:

Attachments

See less See more
#53 ·
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the rear of the receiver supposed to be slightly wider than the front? also why not use some pipe as spacers between the two pieces of angle iron instead of nuts?

#54 ·
jeff762 said:
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the rear of the receiver supposed to be slightly wider than the front? ?
Width is constant.

#56 ·
GreatMoose said:
That was my thought as well, lawman. I plan on trying it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes...
how did your modification turn out? did you take pics?

#58 ·
Winn R said:
You're very welcome.:)

May I send my children to you for instruction, Jeff?
that is not nessasary. i was mislead by someone else. btw, i got to look at akm today. i'm going to ask if i can disassemlble it and take pics of the insides.

#59 ·
My first attempt at bending a flat showed evidence of the jig bowing in the middle causing the middle of the receiver to be slightly wider than the front and back closest to the bolts.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it standard procedure to compress the sides of the bending fixture in a vise after the flat is pressed into it? Since the outside "shoe" of the jig is going to bow in the middle, the vise should squish it back to where it's supposed to be, tight up against the inner jig. This solves the bowing problem in the middle.

Is this correct?

#60 ·
That is correct, at least for the jig you have bought.
What I have found is that by placing it in the vice and wrenching
it down good and tight it makes the corners nice and square.

You can still get a good bend without doing that, but
it's better if you can tighten it down to ensure they are good
to go.

1952Sniper said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it standard procedure to compress the sides of the bending fixture in a vise after the flat is pressed into it? Since the outside "shoe" of the jig is going to bow in the middle, the vise should squish it back to where it's supposed to be, tight up against the inner jig. This solves the bowing problem in the middle.

Is this correct?

#61 · (Edited)
Ok, I've built one of these jigs -- henceforth I'm going to call it "The Grasshopper" in honor of its inventor -- and I think I've ruined my flat.

How did those of you who built one keep the flat parallel when pounding it into the frame? Mine tilted to the side.

If I can borrow a camera I'll post pictures.

I tried hammering on the flat itself to straighten it out and now I have gouges... sigh

#63 ·
zougou said:
Ok, I've built one of these jigs -- henceforth I'm going to call it "The Grasshopper" in honor of its inventor --

I just built one of these jigs and grasshopper is just right for the name ,From start to finish 1 hour and 20 minutes . I used 1 1/2 inch angle and made a third bar so the flat would not start cocked . see the pictures ..:thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Ps I added roll pins so it will line up every time thats what's in the baggie. I cheated a little i printed the pictures from the forum and used them out in my work shop us old farts have short attention spans.

Attachments

#233 ·
zougou said:
Ok, I've built one of these jigs -- henceforth I'm going to call it "The Grasshopper" in honor of its inventor --

I just built one of these jigs and grasshopper is just right for the name ,From start to finish 1 hour and 20 minutes . I used 1 1/2 inch angle and made a third bar so the flat would not start cocked . see the pictures ..:thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Ps I added roll pins so it will line up every time thats what's in the baggie. I cheated a little i printed the pictures from the forum and used them out in my work shop us old farts have short attention spans.
lookin good!

#64 ·
zougou said:
Ok, I've built one of these jigs -- henceforth I'm going to call it "The Grasshopper" in honor of its inventor
Actually SKSMan was the first one I saw to make one of these. Geez that was over a year ago I guess. "All things old are new again"! Search around here and I think it was in fact "poor man's bending jig" or something like that. Good stuff! ;)

#65 ·
hcpookie said:
Actually SKSMan was the first one I saw to make one of these. Geez that was over a year ago I guess. "All things old are new again"! Search around here and I think it was in fact "poor man's bending jig" or something like that. Good stuff! ;)
Yes, the credit should go to SKSMan. I just made a simpler version of his design.

#66 ·
captskip9 said:
zougou said:

i did a tapco flat with the jig but the mag well did not bend i had to get the BFH after it .I put a ace template on it and every thing lines up I think the bar stock is not wide enough and the magazine well pulls out when it bends ,any other ideas to fix the problem.

Attachments

#67 ·
hcpookie said:
OOPS AGAIN - man I can't seem to get things straight this week. I meant SKS_HUNTER!

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1965

#72 ·
captskip9 said:
Any one else have a problem with the mag well not bending right? I tried another tapco flat and it did the same thing i even put big washers on the flat bars for more support and strength.Grasshoper any ideas on this.:help:
ok, it either the bars are too narrow or their are not bolt tight enough. or there is too much of a radius on the edge of the bars. you should be able to put an angle inside of the bend and use a hammer to make it right.

#73 ·
hcpookie said:
OOPS AGAIN - man I can't seem to get things straight this week. I meant SKS_HUNTER!

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1965
They are similar, but 'the Grasshopper' doesn't use a vice. Besides, 'grasshoppa' rolls off the tongue nicely, yes? :rofl:

I think the one flaw in my copy is that the flat stock is not really flat. It has a slight curve to it so that the flat isn't fully supported. If I run a file over the flat stock it takes metal off on two sides rather than the whole piece that the file runs over.

#75 ·
grasshopper said:
Ok, I can't even believe this worked. I made it with some 1" angle and 1 1/4" bars from lowes. :headspin:
Thanks!!! This is just what Ive been lookin for. Something on the cheap.:thumbup1: Can you tell us how you did it?

#76 ·
Sorry bout that. Im a newb so I didnt see that you had already explained it. I have a Tapco flat on order, and Momma is going to towm tommorow withis list ti get from Lowes. Thanks to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.