Gunco Forums banner

FAL lower needed(upper I meant)

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  bulletboy 
#1 · (Edited)
I need help finding the best deal on a lower for an FAL.I just orderd a FAL kit from Military Gun Supply and as listed they come with no lower reciever.So where can I oder the parts for the best price? I've still got 4 AK's out of 8 versions built so its not a first. I have a shop with all the needed equipment I just need the parts. I wanted both a G3 and an FAL but I couldnt afford it and they were sold out of G3's so Imbel it is. Im not looking for the best and most expensive reciever out there just one that I can make operational.Thanks.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I cant afford DSA and besides why would any of us put a shot out good (nowhere near excellent)condition parts kit on a DSA? That doesnt make any sense at all.So I'll get a Century,I'll have my dealer call them for pricing since I cant find any other vendors on the net or shotgun news,FAC has gone belly up leaving me without a supplier.I hope they sell for a good price,$150+shipping & dealer charges is about my limit.I still need compliance parts and whatever small pins and crap are missing from the kit and magazines.

#6 ·
I just got two kits myself today in mail. I have been researching these builds and the Imbel is the Best. DSA Arms told me that point blank today on the phone. Problem is they are all gone. Not one anywhere that I have found. I purchased two Century Arms Receivers today.......They are down to less than five in stock and don't plan on getting any more. So move on them quick or DSA is going to be your only option!!!!!!!!!

What part of FLA you from? I'm originally from Ft. Myers area. Still have hunt camp in BIG Cypress

#7 ·
FLSwampGunner said:
I cant afford DSA and besides why would any of us put a shot out good (nowhere near excellent)condition parts kit on a DSA? That doesnt make any sense at all.So I'll get a Century,I'll have my dealer call them for pricing since I cant find any other vendors on the net or shotgun news,FAC has gone belly up leaving me without a supplier.I hope they sell for a good price,$150+shipping & dealer charges is about my limit.I still need compliance parts and whatever small pins and crap are missing from the kit and magazines.
A lot of people use DSA because the kits they get have good barrels. The DSA receiver is as close to the STG58 as you are going to get. As for Imbel the problem is they are foreign and do not help your part count. As for Century well, you'll see.

P.S. sorry about stepping on your post, I clicked on the wrong button. :lamo:

#9 ·
Uh, the Imbels are built in a factory and on machinery set up by FN for the Brazillians, but the DSA receivers are built using factory assistance from Steyr and FN and the blue prints from Steyr. They're also forged.

Nothing usually wrong with the Imbels, but the last couple of years people have reported having to do more work to get them right.....the Belgians set that machinery up almost 40 years ago and it could be wearing out.

I'd avoid the Century if possible.

#13 ·
DCI is Dan Coonan and they are probably the best cast receiver out there. Normally very high quality, they were sold through Federal Arms Corp, or FAC, which just went under.

I don't know if DCI has any right now. They've been trying to gear up for some stamped RPK/Yugoslav AK receivers.

#14 ·
Receivers have pretty much dried up due to the lack of Imbels coming in, FAC going down the tubes and tying up the Coonans, and DSA being stingy about producing/selling receivers only vs. their complete rifles. The last batch of South African kits and the STG-58's pretty much gobbled up what receivers were available.

I have 4 kits waiting for receivers and don't want to go the DSA or Entreprise routes unless it eventually comes to that. Imbels, Coonans, and DSA receivers are all good. Some require a little more work for the build, but nothing significant. Century's latest metric receiver is better than most tend to think. I've built two conversion weapons on them and the only issue was a tight mag well. They are underated IMO and are a good value. They're not the best by any means, but a darn good value for a low buck build.

Only time will tell. I just hope DCI gets back to putting receivers on the market and more Imbels are imported. All of my kits need a type I or 2 receiver.

#18 ·
Just picked up a new GL Imbel - 2000 PAC. Prices are climbing, but this one was still reasonable. Hard to find, gotta look hard and long.

As far as choices go from the top being best;

1) Imbel - forged receiver (not forged ingot) - best type 3 hands down
2) DSA - forged ingot. Best type 1 and type 2 available
3) DCI - casting. Best of the castings

#20 ·
Another couple of places to check out are ARS and Blackwell Industries. Some, if not all of you guys probably know about this already, but falfiles.com is where I found all my parts sources for my FAL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.