Gunco Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTS: 2003 SAR-1

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  armed ferret 
#1 · (Edited)
WTS: 2003 SAR-1 350FTF 385shipped

I have a 2003 SAR-1 that I've decided to part with. It was my first AK, and with all the kits I have I better do a little thinning before the wife has my you-know-whats lopped off. ;)

She originally came with a welded side folder, but unfortunately it was not one of the ones that could be dremeled into functionality--the weld bead was sloppy (to say the least). I replaced that with a Romanian "G" kit stock set that I refinished. I also removed the neutered gas block and replaced it with a bayo lug equipped block. The muzzle was threaded 14x1LH and a U.S.-made slant brake was added (not marked, bought from Global). G2 Trigger group and RSA retaining plate included as well. The rifle will be shipped to the buyer with a black u.s. pistol grip. Century gas piston is on it as well (not marked, but it's the original gas piston that came with the rifle). Recap of U.S. parts: P-grip, FCG, brake, gas piston. Also comes with "standard" ak scope rail.

I polished the bolt and refinished the rifle with semi-gloss black molyresin, and used red and white paintsticks in the rear sight markings and the selector markings. Unfortunately, the metal "bled out" a little oil that apparently didn't come out the first 3 times I baked it prior to molyresin application, and so the finish is a little "odd" in a couple places. Obviously this doesn't affect function of the rifle in any way, shape, or form, it just looks "different" in those 2 places than everywhere else.

The front sight is canted, and as a result the post is adjusted to the right a good deal. She still shoots great. There's a little wear around the front sight block as well as on the lower handguard retainer where the sling attaches. The finish is slightly rubbed also toward the back of the receiver, where the top cover contacted it before it was fully cured (my fault).

I know I've listed a lot of "bad points" with the rifle, but I assure you guys, anything that one may find "wrong" with it is purely cosmetic. from 3 feet away she still looks fan-freakin-tastic, and shoots like it's nobody's business. :)

I've put about 500 rounds through her (spent most of my x39 through my SKS collection), about 100 at a time. Cleaned the living poo out of her every time too. She's seen some use, as has any AK, but she's also been my baby.

I just have a lot more that I'll be building, and it's time to have a couple "new" babies (m92 SBR anyone). Rifle comes with sling, 40-round mag, and 10-round mag. Neither mag really saw much use; i was mainly a fan of the 30's.

SPF to a Marine in Iraq.

Attached are photos of the rifle as you'll receive it (minus bubble wrap and a box, of course ;)), and a close-up of the selector markings and the buttstock. Wood was bleached, then refinished with iodine, minwax red mahogany (cut with mineral spirits for more control over how dark it went on), and 3 thin coats of zinsser amber shellac topped it off. In the first photo, you'll notice a "dull" area in the finish just behind the selector markings. this is one of the two "odd" portions of the finish I mentioned. the other area is on the other side, around the scope rail. If you would like a photo of another part of the rifle, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll get the best photo my POS digital camera will allow me to take. :)

Attachments

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.