Gunco Forums banner

Piston and Gas Port on 308

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
Can someone that has one measure the piston length?

While we're at it, does the gas port appear to be the same size as a 7.62x39? Or is it larger?

#2 ·
hcpookie said:
Can someone that has one measure the piston length?

While we're at it, does the gas port appear to be the same size as a 7.62x39? Or is it larger?
A picture says a thousand words. ;) The Galil's gas port looks to be roughly half the size of the Romy's. I'd imagine the extra barrel length comes into play as well.

Attachments

#4 ·
My Saiga .308 uses the same langth carrier and piston. The gas port is smaller from what I remember. If you are going to use the FAL gas regulator you can make that adjustable too. I just found out the L1A1 gas block is a great fit for a Saiga .308 barrel too. I may have to do that as well.

#5 ·
That's good to know. I was indeed planning on a gas port regulator, actually a home grown idea that is located on the gas tube like the FAL. Figure it will be cheaper that way.

I never thought about it, but if I use a FAL gas port, the gas tube wouldn't fit. IIRC the FAL gas tube is thinner. That said, I could always lathe my own piston to fit, but it would be cheap & easy to use the FAL parts instead of a BIY config that does the same thing. Aren't those real cheap at Tapco?

#6 ·
hcpookie said:
That's good to know. I was indeed planning on a gas port regulator, actually a home grown idea that is located on the gas tube like the FAL. Figure it will be cheaper that way.

I never thought about it, but if I use a FAL gas port, the gas tube wouldn't fit. IIRC the FAL gas tube is thinner. That said, I could always lathe my own piston to fit, but it would be cheap & easy to use the FAL parts instead of a BIY config that does the same thing. Aren't those real cheap at Tapco?

Yup, and have you seen the post Winn did about using the L1A1 gas block on his build? Itt is very simple to make it work without a new piston.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.