Gunco Forums banner

the Aloha 308 Yugo Hybrid

11K views 64 replies 20 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
First I need to thank everyone here for all of the ideas and inspiration.

I am going to be using a Yugo trunnion, bolt and carrier. Then a .308 barrel, FAL mags, FAL gas piston, FAL gas block and custom gas tube. I think I will end up removing the FAL sight bits from the gas block and using either an AK or AR front sight post out on the end of the barrel. Hinged receiver cover with a G3 rear sight.

Tonight I was able to turn down the donner FAL barrel. Barrel is pretty toasty so I am just using it for a proof of concept for the build. Later I will get a new heavy barrel from Brownels and then make up my own gas block.

Here is the barrel pressed into the trunnion. Front furniture in place and the mag in place. Gives a good idea of what the final product will look like.

The bolt and extractor have been dremelled.

I am using FAL mags because I believe they will be able to be used without any mod to the mags. Just narrow the AK mag release. This way they can be used for this and FALs.

Unfortunately with the way I work its going to be at least 4 months before I get to the point where I can test fire :)

Pete

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
shackles said:
OK, you have my attention. Are you gonna call it an AK-FAL or an FAL-AK? Please keep pics coming...
I am not sure. The FAK-47 was my first build. Maybe this one will be the FAK-30?
I will keep updateing this thread as the project moves along. But between two kids under 20mo old and work and blah blah blah its probably going to be a twice a month thing.

Here is the FAK-47

Attachments

#4 ·
Hmmmm? I have a new 45ACP FAL barrel with no plans for using it. Starting to ponder a 45 AK/FAL/Thompson blend.

#5 ·
aloharover said:
Unfortunately with the way I work its going to be at least 4 months before I get to the point where I can test fire :)

Pete
:rofl: sounds like you went to the same Time Prioritization, Utilization & Project Management school as I did! :)

#6 ·
good to see some one is getting some work done on the .308. . You might want to check ebay for a barrel I have bought 2 Remington 700 barrels new take offs for under $30. have seen several stainless heavy fluted go for around $100. Seems a lot of guys buy new Remington 700 just for the action. My 308 plans are to use G3 mags a milled Yugo that is rewelded with milled replacement sides and a drop in trigger group that intsals from the bottom. 22" US remington 700 barrel the fAL gas block with a off set sleave to correct the slight miss alignment, a short gas piston, no sights at all will mill down the rear sight block and make it part of a scope mount. a push button saftey&saiga fore grip. I have all the parts now and since the temp is now above 30 deg I may get to it soon. I have to help build 6 Rommy long barreld pistols first for friends. Keep the Picks coming That FAL gas block looks great!

#8 ·
I was just thinking about doing this today on the way to college. I have a 308 takeoff barrel and a couple brand new FAL mags. I might jump in and try this too if I can scrape together the cash after my current builds finnish up.

#10 ·
Rhino_66 said:
What kind of FAL mags are those?

Looking forward to seeing more pics!

I don't know. They are 20rd used steel mags that I got from...hmmm...I have been ordering too much stuff from too many different places lately.
OK the FAl mags came from Centerfire. I think they were 4$ ea.
I got the mag well cut out. Will post a photo tonight after I get home from work. Even though the trigger guard hasn't been completed yet I think you will be able to "see" how well the FAL will work.

Pete

#11 ·
One word on the use of FAL magazines.....the FAL receiver acts as feed lips of a sort, and the FAL magazine was designed around that.

You might be better off maybe trying G3 or M14 magazines.

I know that Armalite looked hard at the FAL magazine when they brought out their AR10 years ago, but decided on the M14 style magazine because of issues.

Bushmaster tried a .308 AR rifle that used FLA magazines and they also had issues......

Good luck in your project!

#12 ·
So here is how the mag will work in my build.
The FAL mag has a protrusion out the front in order to engage this I welded a short piece of 1/4" rod at the front of the magwell opening.
I then will modify the AK latch. It needs to be thinned down and bent forward somemore

Attachments

#14 ·
I feel that the mag will work.
As you may notice I am using a milled receiver kit and am just going to place the trunnions inside a piece of 1.5x2x.125 walled tube.
I will make up longer pins from O1 tool steel, and weld inserts inside the tube for the mag dimples.
So right now its a FAL barrel and gas block with the sight bit removed from the FAL gas block.
An AK front sight block and then the FAL flash suppressor.
I am going to use a FAL piston on the AK carrier.
For the gas tube what I want to do is to cut the AK tube just ahead of where it attaches to the rear sight block. Use a slightly shorter FAL tube inserted into the AK pieces. Then the wood upper hand guard will hide where the AK tube was cut and welded onto the FAL tube. Sort of along the same ideas as to how a stretch limo is made.
I will be making a custom lower handguard and combined with how I am leaving the tube long i WILL HAVE A FLOATING BARREL.

Attachments

#15 ·
Here is a FAL next to a G3 mag.
I am not trying to be argumentative, but I don't see how there is any difference between the two that will effect feeding.
I do find that the FAL fits into the AK trunnion much better and I think it will be easier to use in a 308 AK build.
I don't own any M14 mags or AR10 mags yet.

Pete

Attachments

#17 ·
hcpookie said:
I'm going to weld AK-style lugs onto the G3 mags, and then grind the crap out of them until they fit ;)
I am very interested to see how others solve getting the .308 into the weapon.
I ordered a half dozen G3s and the same for the FALs. If I can find some cheeper I will also look at getting some M14 mags.

What I am trying is to not modify the mag. I want to see if its possible to get the stock mag to work, then I can have a single ammo stock pile thats going to work in multiple platforms. Probably not that important to many folks, but its one of my design goals for this particular build.

Plus if it doesn't work I am only out the 3$ worth of steel thats going into the receiver and you should have your design done so I can copy it :rofl:

#18 ·
You know that someone has made a magazine well that lets unaltered G3 mags fit into a receiver? I saw that on saiga-12 I think, in their Saiga .308 forum.

It was "different" to say the least, but it worked. I don't think there was any modification to the receiver, but I don't remember back that far. I never bothered to save pics either.

Magazine, receiver, it doesn't matter to me. Its not like there will be 10,000 of these things in some war somewhere, so a proprietary mag is OK with me. I really dislike the stock G3 receiver's magazine well so I really don't want to imitate that at all.

I'm not worried about modifying the receiver either. My opinion is that I'm going to modify anything I need and live with the consequences of the magazines. There's no need, IMO, to "not" modify mags. If and when any "new" AWB surfaces in the future that prohibits grinding on a magazine, then I will prepare for the "future" by modifying about 25 mags or so and putting them away in cosmo.

#19 ·
If you are using a FAL gas block and FAL gas tube and piston. Why not just cut of the RSB end of the AK tube add a sleave/bushing then you can slide the FAL gas tube in from the back and use the FAL threads on the tube and the gas block. this way you do not need to weld up any thing. Man I need to figure out how to post pics here. You have to cut the carrier down as it will not fit into the FAL gas tube.I have a pistol that runs a FAL Gas block piston and tube as discribed looks very clean with no top hand guard. plan on doing the same on the 308 build. I will use G3 Mags I dont have a FAL so interchangibilty is not a Issue and I think they may be better suited for other caliburs that I may try on this platform like a 358-08. I to am using a milled kit but I am going to splice mine back together flush instead of over lapping. Your set up would be great for the drop in trigger group I am working on. Its basicaly a part of a stamped reciver that will slip up into a wider milled reciver. there will be no need for holes or clips/retainer spring as the pins will be held from moving by the reciver sides.The pistol grip bolt holds it in place.I like the floating barrrel part. I plan on shooting mine with no gas block or tube (load by hand) at first to see how accurate it will do, before going to a simi auto nonfloating barrel set up and compare the two . I will work on Pics

#20 ·
1biggun said:
Your set up would be great for the drop in trigger group I am working on. Its basicaly a part of a stamped reciver that will slip up into a wider milled reciver. there will be no need for holes or clips/retainer spring as the pins will be held from moving by the reciver sides.The pistol grip bolt holds it in place.
Now that is a very interesting idea and one I think I will look more into.

How will you handle the selector lever?

I like the idea for the gas tube also. I keep having different thoughts as to how its going to look in the end. Either something that strongly resembles an SVD or just a total custom "Made by Pete" thing. :D
Guess i will have to build two.

I get the point of the G3 mag and being able to uses other calibers.

Pete

#21 ·
with your reciver design It's already a made by Pete special why not go all out. selector lever would be in the same location. on your set up you are going to have to modify it for the wider width. I have seen pics of a AK style rifle with a push button safety http://www.impactguns.com/store/VEPR-VS308.html. but I would think that a bar running across the back of the trigger in the same place the selector would hit it, would work. One of my dislikes on my hunting pistol is trying to work the selector one handed in a hurry and doing it quietly.. If you made your reciver wide enough for a bent and cut down tapco to just slip in in the trigger area it would be easy to do. Mine will be standard width (the first one any way) so I am looking at milling up a one piece trigger guard/trigger group housing with a built in mag catch. I probably could have had a running 308 by now but I keep thinking of new things I want to do. I would like to get a close up look of the super vepr's mag release and safety. My goal is to be able to switch from a light target style trigger to a heavyr or 2 stage system in a few seconds or so plus it will look cool and feel smoother with no pins sticking out. NOT A TOSS AWAY FA TRIGGER GROUP THAT ANOTHER SITE ACUSSED ME OF WANTING! That super vepr is real close to the rifle verson I want to build. A working 308 pistol or some other large cal pistol is my main goal by this november's deer season that and paying to mortage.

#22 ·
hcpookie said:
...There's no need, IMO, to "not" modify mags. If and when any "new" AWB surfaces in the future that prohibits grinding on a magazine, then I will prepare for the "future" by modifying about 25 mags or so and putting them away in cosmo.
There is something to be said for modifying one part to work with 25 unmodified parts, rather than modifying 25 parts to all work with the a single part.

On the other hand, all it takes is a repeatable method of modification (some sort of jig for instance) to take all the frustration out of modifying several units to the same specification.

#23 ·
I gave some more thought to the drop out FCG. My thought is it will drop down from the top.
Its going to be retained by the five 10-32 cap screws that will hold the trigger guard in.
Going to make my own safety, will be more like an AR type. Right thumb, rotate clockwise to go bang. But it will use the AK style of opening in the receiver and retention. With the pivot point lower down on the receiver the blocking bar can be much smaller. So it can rotate forward and wont interfere with the disconnector.

I got the FAL sight/gas block modded and installed. Cut down and shaped the rear sight block to fit the larger diameter barrel. Made uo and installed the lower rails. With this build I am doing the lowers and then the uppers.

Of course my MIG ran out of gas 1st thing so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped.

After I get the upper rails located and welded in I will then go back and finalize the mag retention system. At least right now with just the lowers in it does line up correctly and feeds.

Pete

#24 ·
I'm working on a 308 AK project.I bought a Yugo 308 AK mag at a gun show for $10!!!The guy thought it was an FAL mag.It's a real Yugo mag not an USA mag.I have some of the Valmet 308 mags made from HK mags.I have a couple 308 Galil mags too.I opened up the bolt face of standard AK bolt.Modded the extractor.I'm just going to ream a Yugo 7.62x39 barrel for starters.After figuring out the magwell and magazine I'll use a 308 barrel blank turned to AK dimensions.The reason the Russian 308 AK's went to a three lug bolt is the two lug design wouldn't pass the strict European proof pressure testing.They already had a three lug bolt design in the SVD.

#25 ·
You stole the Mag. I was considering reaming a factory barrel to 308 as well. one could shot cheap ammo as is, accuracy may suffer due to smaller bulet and hand load .311 bullets for acuracy.
I like the AR safety idea. I am having trouble visulizing the drop in trigger group going in from the top. Is it thin enough to clear the rails? need pics. what I was thinking for mine was an assembly of the trigger group, guard ,mag catch all combined together inserting from the bottom held in by one screw.

#26 ·
1biggun said:
I am having trouble visulizing the drop in trigger group going in from the top. Is it thin enough to clear the rails?
No :(
I didn't even think of that.

OK, v2 :rofl:
The rear trunion is retained by 10-32 button head screws. Will need to remove the trunnion to pull the trigger group out the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.