Gunco Forums banner

What would "You" eat?

12K views 62 replies 41 participants last post by  daltex1 
#1 ·
The question is, if you were really starving, and it was down to survival, what would you eat, or do to survive? Is it a good idea to have basic knowledge of edible plants, or trapping/snaring techniques, or will the Gov't be there to feed you? I have "played around" with preparedness, and survival methods for a few years, and I'd like to think that I would be able to eat Pond Scum & BullFrogs. I'll say that in my experiments with "Survival Foods", it's been a big awareness challenge between how I am used to feeding myself, and others, and how you might "have" to eat. OBTW, tinfoil makes some "dandy" cooking vessels.:)

#28 ·
Freebore said:
The question is, if you were really starving, and it was down to survival, what would you eat, or do to survive? Is it a good idea to have basic knowledge of edible plants, or trapping/snaring techniques, or will the Gov't be there to feed you? I have "played around" with preparedness, and survival methods for a few years, and I'd like to think that I would be able to eat Pond Scum & BullFrogs. I'll say that in my experiments with "Survival Foods", it's been a big awareness challenge between how I am used to feeding myself, and others, and how you might "have" to eat. OBTW, tinfoil makes some "dandy" cooking vessels.:)
I would eat almost anything that is safe to eat. I Have eaten Seaweed and that is really gross. So grubs, worms and even mice couldn't be nearly as bad.

I grew up poor and we hunted a lot to make ends meet. Rabbit, squirrel, morning dove, you name it and we prolly ate it.

I have learned several trick throughout the years. One good source is Tom Brown's Wilderness Guides. Very good stuff in his books. Google him.

#31 ·
I refuse to give up my sorce, because you guys will buy all of it up :).

But I have a 6 month supply of a powder, which can be mixed with any liquid and be used for up to 6 months as a replacement for meals. It is very good.

I also keep a very good supply of long shelf life vitamins, minerals, stuff like that, which I can take if I dont get them from the food I eat. I've ate some nasty shit, but if I can survive of it, I'll eat ot.

#32 ·
KlashnikovKollector said:
I refuse to give up my sorce, because you guys will buy all of it up :).

But I have a 6 month supply of a powder, which can be mixed with any liquid and be used for up to 6 months as a replacement for meals. It is very good.

I also keep a very good supply of long shelf life vitamins, minerals, stuff like that, which I can take if I dont get them from the food I eat. I've ate some nasty shit, but if I can survive of it, I'll eat ot.
Would that "Powder" happen to be Ovaltine?

#34 ·
Cactus Apples are about the best tasting wild food I've had. Oh, and the roasted stalk of Yucca Whipplei aka our lords candle.

#35 ·
what I would eat.

When in the Marines I went on a thirty day camping trip with only a knife and a zippo lighter. You would be surprised at what you will eat when you are really hungry. Bugs. worms, wood from pine trees and just about anything you can get your hands on.

rey

#36 ·
Let's see a fresh steak and baked potato. :D :D ;)

Seriously though, it pays to be prepared. Not only for food, but also water, shelter, etc.

there are many foods at the local grocer that have a long shelf life. Rice, beans, etc. If the power goes out and doesn't come back on I would have a to get the meat out of the freezer and make some more jerky.

As for outdoor books, an author I like is Bradford Angier. He has many informative and useful survival/outdoorsman books.

#37 ·
Watch "Man Vs Wild" on Discovery Channel, he'll show ya how to survive in different regions. Folks, if ya have to eat grubs and insects, things must REALLY be bad. If ya can't plan to have at least a half dozen MRE's/food bars/jerky/etc, ya probably need to eat worms and such. Remember, find a pond/lake/stream/river, have some fishin' line and hook and eat good. Worms, grubs and insects are for bait, you silwy wabbit. Snares're the least effective means of catching something. Btw, I's in the Marines too and went to Desert survival (ate rattle snake and jack rabbit and prickly pear), cold weather in Pusan Korea ( ate rabbit and fish), mountain in Ca ( ate wild cabbage, onion, tater and rabbit), jungle in the PI ( ate monkey, mango, wild banana and bamboo shoots).

#38 ·
GeneC said:
Watch "Man Vs Wild" on Discovery Channel, he'll show ya how to survive in different regions.
to me survivorman on discovery channel seems a little more "down to earth".

#39 ·
Freebore said:
Would that "Powder" happen to be Ovaltine?
Why not keep some whey protein or something similar as well?

A meal replacement shake that tastes well (the lite is tasty too)(just use cold water or milk - some use juice). http://www17.netrition.com/myoplex_plus_page.html

Here is a whey protein that I use/keep in the house. My kids like the taste of it mixed with milk. Whey protein is high in amino acids and is one of the most digestable proteins. The local sams club sells this in a resealable bag (same brand) and it is an excellent price at Sams (a touch cheaper).

I buy from http://www.netrition.com/ and have been buying from there since 1999. They have great prices and shipping is dirt cheap too.

#41 ·
GeneC said:
Is this a different show/person? The dude, Bear, really gets right to the bare bones about surviving and eating.
Yep - Survivorman is a different show with a different person. http://www.survivorman.ca/ is the site. It is on discovery science. He has no camera crew with him and so he is on his own lugging around his own camera gear. Check it out sometime. :thumbup1:

#42 ·
sniper69 said:
Yep - Survivorman is a different show with a different person. http://www.survivorman.ca/ is the site. It is on discovery science. He has no camera crew with him and so he is on his own lugging around his own camera gear. Check it out sometime. :thumbup1:
I haven't seen this one yet. I'll keep an eye out for him. I watch man vs wild every chance I get. That guy is pretty hardcore. His theme is based on getting back to civilization though, kinda has it backwards, huh.

#43 ·
Thanks to the Boy Scouts of America, I've felt confident to survive in the woods since I was 12-13 years old. Of course I'm no survivor man. But at least I would not freak out & I think I could do pretty well.
It's a shame what the ACLU & law suit happy parents have done to the Scouting program.
I looked into helping with a troop when we lived in Florida & was dissapointed to find out their idea of camping out was taking a fleet of fancy motor coaches to the Yogi Bear campground.They spent all day playing video games in the motor home. They could not even carry pocket knives! WTF?
Our troop went every other weekend out to some remote area & about all we had was a shelter half, flint& steel & a knife.
I think kids are really missing out nowadays because the troop leaders are scared to death of doing ANYTHING that a parent might find non PC, or even a kid getting a tiny scratch or bruise.
The result is an awful lot of sissyfied youngsters.

#44 ·
Well the problems with those survivor shows is when they try to cram several days worth of 'surviving' into a one hour show, alot gets left out and more importantly, Mr Bear is a a former British Special Forces, French Foreign Legion, etc, What works for him won't guarantee it'll work for the rest of us. He extreme conditioning pulls him thru spots that'd be fatal if mere mortals tried it. Us regular folks need to know our limitations and plan accordingly.

#46 ·
I love Man vs Wild. Survivor Man is okay. He's kinda skatter brained.

I like the guy in Man vs Wild better.

Would be kinda fun to test your skills like that though.

When I was a kid we ate almost anything we could catch or kill at one time or another. Some of us were the adventurous type. My dad also liked hunting. So I have had plenty of experience freezing my butt off.

#47 · (Edited)
If I may, a few thoughts from the new guy.

For video instruction check out Ron and Karen Hood at http://www.survival.com "Survival.Com"
They have a very good video series called "The Woodsmaster Series". They also have an "Urban Master series" that I have not seen but have heard good things about. "Cave Cooking" is one that my wife enjoys. They have a very good forum with a lot of extremely knowledgeable people, several experts in their field.

Buckshot's videos are great! Something to be aware of, he reportedly went thru a divorce and his ex-wife got the rights to "BuckshotsCamp.com". Orders are not filled promptly and Buckshots good reputation has suffered because most do not know this. I found out after refering a good friend to their site, and then being asked about it being a fricking month and zero replies to emails or phone calls. He is reportedly setting up a new website, and will be resuming his video's and online sales/instruction.

As far as what I will eat... I draw the line at her smelling like 3 day old fish guts in the hot summer sun. For sustainance I will eat almost anything I can keep down. The 2 things that I know I would have issue with would be snails and slugs. I would more than likely try roasting the bastards dry and then grinding them up or gnawing them up some and swallowing to get them down. I used to have a habit of eating raw fish fresh out of the ocean or mountain lakes/streams. I had a habit of eating raw beef in highschool at the restaurant I worked at, that was back when eating raw beef was still "safe". I have eaten a raw clam on a bet, imagine a COLD, salty extremely fishing tasting BOOGER in your mouth! The list continues. This summer if all goes as planned I will be spending a good month or better in the woods hiking my fat ass around, so I will be expanding my insect and bug sampling. I had a thing for rollie pollies when I was a kid. I don't recall what they tasted like though. If I ever get the chance I WILL try dog and cat. In a survival situation, especially urban, I will be trapping cats. Stray dogs will likely "disappear" as well.

Some authors of books you may enjoy:
Chris Janowsky
David Alloway
Larry Dean Olsen
John? and Geri McPhearson

a couple sources for edible wild plant info that may be indispensible.
The Autobaun Societies Field Guide To North American Plants.
Edible plants survival cards from BrigadeQuarterMasters.Com.

Enough of my blathering I hope that I do not come off like a know it all @$$h0le or someone that enjoys tearing people apart. When it comes to survival information and learning I simply feel it is best to take a serious look at the source of information and research things a little bit. For what it is worth I am NO expert, simply a man that has a lot to learn and realizes that the more he learns, the less he REALLY knows.
Mini-14

Edited To Remove some opinions.
Edited a 2nd time due to Link not working for Survival.Com so I typed it in.

#48 ·
You wouldn't have to bet me to get me to eat clams on the halfshell (raw clam). Same with raw oysters. Take time to chew and savor them, the cold booger part is only true when you're gagging at the thought of them and slamming them down. Great food!

#50 ·
sjohnson said:
You wouldn't have to bet me to get me to eat clams on the halfshell (raw clam). Same with raw oysters. Take time to chew and savor them, the cold booger part is only true when you're gagging at the thought of them and slamming them down. Great food!

Yeah I could eat them if(in a survival situation) I had a case of real cold beer to take the taste out of my mouth:cheers:

#51 ·
Beer and clams go great together, regardless of the reason you need them :D

In fact, beer and almost anything you can eat go great together. Mmm, beer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.