Gunco Forums banner

RBTHNTR64's .243 AK build

9K views 64 replies 12 participants last post by  allesennogwat 
#1 ·
Guys, I thought I would start a thread since Aloharovers .308 conversion deserves a thread of it own and I kind of injected my build into his thread.
SORRY ABOUT THAT ROVER! So over the next couple of days I will be moving my posts form there to here.:thumbup1:

#62 ·
I don't normally load to max. The "service rifle" loads in the new Hornady manual are right around my normal loads. I got to look through a copy of the book but I haven't bought a copy yet. I think that is about the only info I'll use from it. The nice thing is they are mild max loads when using commercial brass and about max loads when using military brass. The Accurate Arms data is about the only data I've found using military capacity cases. AA's max loads are on the warm side and I don't go that hot but the info is good.

#64 ·
Generally speaking, the hotter the powder, the faster the throat erosion. The reloading stuff I've read suggests visibly noticeable erosion after a few thousand rounds using "hot" powder.

Sorry to contribute to the hijack - we need a new thread!

#65 ·
There is a difference "hot" powder and "fast" powder. Generally most extruded powder "burns" at hotter or at a higher temp than most ball powders. A hotter burning powder can cause higher throat erosion but modern barrel steel don't have too much trouble with it. Old Enfield bolt actions had this problem. Ball powders usually burn too "cold" to light tracer bullets. The military has special high temp ball powder just for tracers and normal extruded powder is usually alright to light tracers. I find AA-2495 leaves more jacket material in the bore. I'm thinking it maybe it's so hot, it's melting the copper jackets. I would choose the powder that works for you. I have noticed some ball powders don't seem to heat up the barrel as quickly as extruded powders. A "hot load" is high pressure, a "hot powder" burns at high temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.