Gunco Forums banner

Question about painting the inside of a blank receiver

909 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  7.62x39 
#1 ·
I have noticed that everyone mounts the trunions on their blanks then sand blasts them and then paints/finish them.
So my question is if the inner part of the blank under the trunions, is not "painted" won't that cause issues down the line with rust, corosion, etc.

Here is a pic form 7.62 X 39 after he demilled a krink. 6th picture down. There is rust after a few years this would cause problems don't you think?

www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28233

#2 ·
samoconner said:
I have noticed that everyone mounts the trunions on their blanks then sand blasts them and then paints/finish them.
So my question is if the inner part of the blank under the trunions, is not "painted" won't that cause issues down the line with rust, corosion, etc.

Here is a pic form 7.62 X 39 after he demilled a krink. 6th picture down. There is rust after a few years this would cause problems don't you think?

Perhaps I'm a bit anal but I've recently started to park and paint (molyresin) all my parts, including the inside of the receiver, before I assemble. I then repaint/touch up after assembly.

#5 ·
Was wondering same thing. Would prefer to have entire inside of receiver protected from rust.

In that light, does it make more sense to weld the receiver rails in place, then sandblasting and painting inside receiver, before any riveting?

gunsgutsandgod.com mounts the front trunnion before welding the rails. Is any technical reason for trunnion before rails?

#8 ·
I dont want paint or any thing else that can come loose between the trunion and the reciver. I want metal to metal contact so it stays tight after rivieted or screwed. If that paint gets hot / melts deteriates flakes off in any way you now have play between the two parts. sandwiching a layer of paint or any thing else softer than steel in between to steel parts and riviting just dont sound right to me IMOA. bluing it or parking it would be ok. there is no paint between the originals. I oil them down good after they are built and call it good. they will out last me most likley. as far as mounting the trunion after finishing the reciver I do it all the time if I am doing a screw build like on one of my pistols. fit the rails and weld with the trunion clamped or screwed in place then remove trunion to to do your finishing. I do it like this for several reasons. 1. I can put several recivers in the oven at one time with out the barrel for a baked on finish. 2 on a screw build I dont like to heat the loctight after it is set in place when doing a bake on finish. IF you were to paint around the trunion after it was built it would seal it up pretty well also. Rust needs oxygen to live. I will admit to seeing some kits with rust between the reciver and the trunion but It was far from ever causing a problem.

#12 ·
samoconner said:

That was an unusual case, I've never seen another quite like it.

That rifle was brand new, never issued and only made in 2003, there is no way it should have been like that.
I've de-milled many older kits from the 80's or even 70's, that had been humped to who knows where and back, that had little or no signs of corrosion in there.

These must have been subject to some moisture or maybe just salt air from the boat ride.
It was actually damp in there, before I wiped it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.