Gunco Forums banner

Semi Auto Vickers preview & range report

4K views 44 replies 7 participants last post by  pirate56 
#1 ·
I got some pictures from Sherman of his semi auto vickers, he range tested it and it works flawlessly. Sherman is a master machinist and builder. He will be selling conversion parts and services and I will be hosting the build tutorial on my site.

http://projectguns.com/vickerstest

#30 ·
Actually my small (hahaha) addiction to guns already costs me a small fortune each month. i have been getting myself into trouble lately.

i just bought a egyptian hakim and all the accessories ( i got a great deal on mine im finishing up the transfer right now.)

this is planning for next year. yah i know the 1919 are not as rare as the vickes but the ammo and parts are easier to have.

pirate for the build on the vickers i know you are going to be doing a tutorial.

im just wanting to clarify:

i buy a kit from ima ( assuming you guys dont buy them all up on me.) 700 $
your buddy supplies the semi parts and machining to make it a semi auto 400-700 $
i buy a right side plate from your guy. 1-300 $
i assemble the kit. which i hope is not going to be too hard. 20-40 hours
i have you or the other guy refinish it. 1-200 $
then it works. is this the jist of it. THIS IS JUST FOR ESTIMATING COSTS.

i looked on the us ordnance site and im not sure if they sell the belts. it was sort of confusing, do you have any other sources for cloth belts.
i like the idea of the maxim links.

us ordnance looked like they were looking to start doing semi auto's again on their web site. it says august of 2006. i wonder if they are back to producing the vickers again
they are asking $4000 each.

will the vickers tripod also work on a 1919?

what other tripods will work for this.

I know im asking alot of questions but im sure others have the same one's i do.
i know your reputable guy so if this is doable im all in. I like the odd guns and this is right up my alley.

#31 ·
handym3000 said:
Actually my small (hahaha) addiction to guns already costs me a small fortune each month. i have been getting myself into trouble lately.

i just bought a egyptian hakim and all the accessories ( i got a great deal on mine im finishing up the transfer right now.)

this is planning for next year. yah i know the 1919 are not as rare as the vickes but the ammo and parts are easier to have.

pirate for the build on the vickers i know you are going to be doing a tutorial.

im just wanting to clarify:

i buy a kit from ima ( assuming you guys dont buy them all up on me.) 700 $
your buddy supplies the semi parts and machining to make it a semi auto 400-700 $
i buy a right side plate from your guy. 1-300 $
i assemble the kit. which i hope is not going to be too hard. 20-40 hours
i have you or the other guy refinish it. 1-200 $
then it works. is this the jist of it. THIS IS JUST FOR ESTIMATING COSTS.

i looked on the us ordnance site and im not sure if they sell the belts. it was sort of confusing, do you have any other sources for cloth belts.
i like the idea of the maxim links.

us ordnance looked like they were looking to start doing semi auto's again on their web site. it says august of 2006. i wonder if they are back to producing the vickers again
they are asking $4000 each.

will the vickers tripod also work on a 1919?

what other tripods will work for this.

I know im asking alot of questions but im sure others have the same one's i do.
i know your reputable guy so if this is doable im all in. I like the odd guns and this is right up my alley.
I would estimate the build at about $2k, us ord is getting $4k for a gun that doesn't work very well from what I have heard. the vickers kits were $450 a couple of months ago. if you buy a kit and sit on it for awhile you more than likely will make a profit. MG42 kits could be had for $500.00 a year ago, they are over $1,500 now.

as far as finishing it you can do that yourself, parking is easy and not expensive to do.
us ord has cloth belts for sale, I haven't looked for cloth ones so don't know of any other sources, I do know the maxim metal ones will work and coles dist. is sitting on a pile of them 3 250 rd belts and can for $100.00

I don't know about the tripod, I do know the price for one will have me looking for an alternative. possiblu the 1928 tripods from oow will work.

Sherman is supposed to be sending me the photos and information for the build tutorial this weekend, and I will be starting on the tutorial as soon as I get them. you will be able to see what is involved in the build.

I understand how you feel, there are a lot of things I want to get before they dry up or get unaffordable or are banned by some new gun ban. I think the key is to get the kits, then get the rest later.
as far as the vickers go I have no idea how many kits ima has , but once a few people get guns built they will not be available for long.

Did I miss anything?

#32 ·
since you answered my questions i think this is for me. w/ caution

the cost is kind of up there but the value of the build will probibly make it valued@ around i think 5000+ on the open market. for just the gun.

if your tutorial looks good and looks like it is doable then put me down for the machining and side plate. i think i am all for it. i am serious.

im going to buy the kit in mid january. if your tutorial comes through, the machining, and right side plate is going to be offered. this is the only way i am willing to do this.

pirate you rule man. i would love to participate in this build.

#33 ·
Excelent news!! I just got off the phone with Sherman and he talked to Michael from Halo manufacturing and he will be making the right side plates!!
the conversion kits wil be available by january and plates should be ready by february.
I got a bunch of photos from Sherman and will be updating the vickers section on my website this weekend with all the pertinent information.

#34 ·
Halo manufacturing :rockin: great place.

Pirate;
Ya know, you'd think I would have already learned better than to keep reading your posts. You have already MADE me spend $1900 in the last week.

Vickers kit
Late model Vickers tripod
extra Vickers barrel
water jacket cover
extra locking mechanism
extra feed box assy
transit case

Now I'm broke again.........................But HAPPY !! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

#35 ·
Put my name on the list for one of the sets of build parts as soon as available. I agree Halo is an excellent choice for plates I will take 2 or 3 plates as soon as ready.
The vickers will fit any tripod the 1919 or maxim will sit on but you really need one of these big big bronze vicky tripods to finish out the proper package. Omega has some new bbls for $50 , easy conversion to 7.62x54r

#36 ·
Put me on the list but for later in the year. i just got tapped out on some stuff i bought.
i looking at around july of next year.

i am definetly in but this has to wait. i just got done buying christmas presents and a couple of guns. ( damn habit.)

i just picked up a star bm in 9mm, and a egyptian hakim in 8mm

#38 ·
Illya Kuryakin said:
Halo manufacturing :rockin: great place.

Pirate;
Ya know, you'd think I would have already learned better than to keep reading your posts. You have already MADE me spend $1900 in the last week.

Vickers kit
Late model Vickers tripod
extra Vickers barrel
water jacket cover
extra locking mechanism
extra feed box assy
transit case

Now I'm broke again.........................But HAPPY !! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Only $1,900.00, thats pocket change for you!!:lol:

#41 ·
Pirate does so much neat stuff but only 1 problem......

I'm goin' broke with HAWS.......

(Hangin' Around With Stan)

:lol:

#42 ·
pirate56 said:
I Seem to do that to people!! If you want to stay out of the poor house you may have to put me on your ignore list!!:lol:
In order to increase donations, you should make the sign look more authentic and needy. Instead of straight edges, tear them. Next wad up the sign into a tight ball then lay it back out fairly flat. Finally, add a couple of well placed oil/grease spots on the face of the sign.

Believe me, I know what works best for a broke panhandling gun bum - from first hand experience

:D :D :D

#44 ·
pirate56 said:
And JJ, how come you aren't out in "gunsmoke garage" finishing up that RPK?:ak47:
Cuz I'm old.....tired.....and the parkerizing is soaking up a fresh coat of break-free.......
I'll never keep pace with you......:cool:

Thanks again for laying out the rivet holes.....you da man!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.