Gunco Forums banner

1919 Bucking bar plans

6K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Lt762x39 
#1 ·
Hey all.. I'm getting ready to do a 1919a4 build, and am looking to make some of my own tools.(cause its more fun)
I'd like to make my own bucking bar, like this one:
http://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/53/ea/0d_1.JPG

But am unsure of the dimensions. The seller says its 3/4" thick stock, and 11 in. long, but I'm unsure of how wide it needs to be. My guess is approx. 2.25 inches.
I'm planning on cutting it diagonally with cutting torch then having my buddy clean it up on his mill.

#3 ·
I enjoy making my own tools also. But I have found it much more effecient to just buy the tools of a proven design from a respected maker. Do the work and then re-sell the tool. Since quite often, custom home building tools are backordered.. I usually get more than I paid for the tool in the first place. Folks will pay to get it RIGHT NOW. Plus if it's a tool you want to keep around. Buying a pro built one gives you an oportunity to copy it & re-sell the original.

Like Pirates tool........I have no doubt you could use it and get most if not all or more of your money back. Once I get my Brens welded up..I'll dump that $300.00 jig ASAP!

#9 ·
Awesome Pirate, I've seen part of your site before, but this has some great small details and close-up pics that Lobo's 1919 tutorial on 191a4.com skimmed over. Very helpful and well presented.
And Bradrock, you hit the nail on the head..I wanted to get something going quickly on my project as opposed to waiting for more goodies via the mail. Sourcing the stock locally is no problem and no waiting.

#20 ·
I could use all the info too. My kit came in a few days ago. I am assembling pieces for a build too. I read projectguns.com info. Makes it look easy.

#21 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.