Poor man's pin buster
Here's the score so far, Max's pin buster 8, Romy pins 0
Some of these Romy's are real bears to get out, I've read a lot of horror stories lately, with lots of folks having to resort to heat and/or drilling to pop these thing loose.
I think the major problem is getting the trunnion to remain flat and fully supported while pressing.
The pin area of the trunnion is relieved half way around by .118 and the remaining area of the trunnion is .040 low once the receiver stub is removed.
This leaves precious little flat surface to work with.
I found a 1/2" SAE washer .118 thick, and cut off 1/4 of it.
This fills the missing area around the pin perfectly.
I then took one side of a receiver stub and welded both pieces to a piece of 3/8 steel plate, drilling a hole for the pin to come through.
The upper rail engages the trunnion and locates it properly.
Between the washer and receiver stub, the trunnion is 100% supported and the pin remains perfectly perpendicular to the press.
Now the only rock and roll I have is on the radio
Here is the other half of the equation.
I took a piece of 1-1/2" black iron pipe welded a steel plate to one end.
Then I took a 9/16" lag bolt and cut off the shank section, rifle drilled it and welded it to the steel plate.
I bought some 15/64" hardened drill rod, cut a short piece for busting them loose, then a longer piece to push it out.
I drilled and tapped two holes for set screws.
One holds the drill rod in, the other secures the pipe to the ram of the press.
Thats a real nice set up! So far I havn't encountered any I couldn't "pop" but a few were tough. The key for me was the craftsman screw driver shank I cut as a pin pusher. Thats one tough steel! No deformation after many barrel pins.
I like that idea with the plate for the trunnion. I'm gonna have to try that one, great idea 7.62
you need to market the set you made for those of us that can't weld.
HINT, HINT ;) :)
I did something similar. I took a 3/4" thick piece of aluminum and drilled it to accept the rivets. This way I can press the barrel pin out whith the receiver stub still attached and can install it into my newly riveted receiver. Seems to work ok but I have yet to test it on the Romy kits.
I have one like that also, one of Plinker's.
I have used it on many builds with good success on most builds.
On some really tough ones, like a few of the AMD65's and a lot of these Romys, I had some trouble with the trunnion trying to roll.
No matter how well the rest is supported, the pin hole area it's self is still only supported on two sides.
The cut up washer is the key. I would use it even with your aluminum block
kick ass ideas....i love 'em
Heres what I use to get my pins out. I had my neighbor who is a machinist make this up a couple of months ago. It makes quick work on those stubborn pins.
Max -- you've done it again!!