Gunco Forums banner

Soumi drum AK Flats at AK-builder!!!!!!

4K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  notime2hunt 
#1 ·
#5 ·
pjm204 you have any pics or insights? It sounds pretty straight forward, a bit of a twist on a regular AK build but not much different. The only thing I'm not sure about is where to position the bolt in the carrier.
Are you using a 74 bolt or the adapter for the 47 bolt?

#6 ·
I have a bunch of pics that other people have sent. I am using a 47 bolt with a bolt face sleeve. A bunch of milling or grinding needs to be done to the carrer and the bolt handle needs to be moved back and welded. If you weld the bolt to the carrier then you either are forced to have a none removeable firing pin or need to resolve that issue. Asside from the bolt and carrier it is a very straight forward build

#11 ·
If I were to buy one of these, and I think it would be a very fun toy, could I pay one of you to bend it for me? I can do all the welding, I am a tig welder by profession. I don't have access to any of the jigs and have never bent one anyway. Thanks, Josh

#12 ·
Fordf1004x4 said:
If I were to buy one of these, and I think it would be a very fun toy, could I pay one of you to bend it for me? I can do all the welding, I am a tig welder by profession. I don't have access to any of the jigs and have never bent one anyway. Thanks, Josh
No can do. Your best bet is to buy a pre-bent reciever or find someone that has the tools and will let you use them to do the work.

#14 ·
although I think the drums would be a lot more fun
Of course the drums would be more fun, but I have a few stick mags too and would like to use them also. :brows: Thanks for letting me know they can work, I must over looked that when I read the info.

Anyone got Curtis's email? I used the one listed on the site (Curtis@ak-builder.com) and it bounced back.

#18 ·
Chiroone said:
The standard Ak builder flat bending jig will not work with this flat without considerable alternation
Other than a large hole for the magazine, this is a standard AK flat. Exactly what considerable alterations are required?

#19 ·
I spoke with Curtis yesterday, there is some clearance cuts that must be made, also, although I am unclear why, the mag opening apparently wil not form correctly with the stock flat jig. He also tells me the flats are not yet in stock, and still need to be sent to the fabricator. I think that unless he can make a retro fit to the present jig my already on, then the flat may not be an attractive option and the cuting up of a standard AK flat more logical.

#20 ·
After taking a little longer look at the flat, the only thing I can think of with the magwell cut, would be that it could twist during the initial push into the form. I looked at some of my pics from my own bending operations, and there is a slight bowing of the flat as you work back and forth. I'm guessing that the flat would probably buckle just above the magwell cut during the initial forming.

It might make more sense to supply the flat without the magwell cut. That should solve any buckling issues. A flat without the magwell dimples would also look much better when finished. An accurate magwell template using the triggerguard and front alignment pin holes would be a good idea.

#23 ·
3/325 said:
I just got off his site and couldn't find it. I guess he is out for now. Have you got yours yet? Have you started building it?
I have mine. I am thinking of starting work on it this week. Next weekend I am attending the Weaponeer AK build party and I might bring it along to work on there.

Curtis seemed to have taken the mag wells off his site. Somewhere I read he still sales them by request.

#25 ·
dcorb said:
I have mine. I am thinking of starting work on it this week. Next weekend I am attending the Weaponeer AK build party and I might bring it along to work on there.

Curtis seemed to have taken the mag wells off his site. Somewhere I read he still sales them by request.
Thanks for the info.

AKarl_12 said:
If you can do that with a Suomi Drum what is to keep you from a Thompson .45 cal drum. That could climb to fast on bump fire?
It is funny you mention that. I've been thinking about an ak in 45. I was just going to go w/9mm since Curtis has the Soumi magwell and I have Soumi drums. The 9mm would be easier since a 74 bolt will work. My only reserve against doing a 45 is that I don't have a mill or lathe to mod the bolt face.

#26 ·
AKarl_12 said:
If you can do that with a Suomi Drum what is to keep you from a Thompson .45 cal drum.
That could climb to fast on bump fire?
Have you priced Thompson drums lately? The current Kahr/A-O production drums go for $250 and $600 and the build quality on those frankly sucks. Real (pre-Numrich) Thompson drums are worth a fortune and get snapped up by the FA collectors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.