Gunco Forums banner

FAL worth building now?

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  7.62x39 
#1 ·
Looks like I missed the $150 IMBEL kits. Not too many available for less than about $220-250 range. DCI/NoDakSpud receivers on a long waiting list, with other makers not recommended or much more expensive. $300 + for the receiver. Special tools, and 7 US made parts, this project is starting to look too expensive for me to bother with. $600-750 range.

Thoughts?

JIm

#2 ·
Many of us do not build kits to save money. It's nice to pick the parts you use and build a better quality gun than the vendors are selling. We put much more time, thought, care, pride,etc into a build than say........Century, ever will. If you just want the cheapest FAL possible, I'm not sure you ever could have beat the price of a Century built rifle. The last batches of $149.00 FAL kits were in pretty crappy shape. mis-matched and beat to hell. Maybe the $250.00 kits are nicer???

#4 · (Edited)
Bradrock said:
.....The last batches of $149.00 FAL kits were in pretty crappy shape. mis-matched and beat to hell. .....Maybe the $250.00 kits are nicer???
BR,

Not quite true.

I pushed barrels in, sorted for matching number, and sold hundreds and hundreds of the latest batch of IMBEL FALS that became available again after the ATF returned the kits to the original importer. They were missing alot of the "paint" but the STEEL was PRIMO!

There is a thread in my vendor's forum on the FAL Files abut the Sorting of Kits.......

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=152014

The kit prices started at $250 then fell to $149 (for reasons we will not discuss) and after they dried up at $149,...they are rising back up.

Here are a few photos from the thread for those who cannot log in on the FAL Files!.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note....

It has been brought to my attention that some "Knight" out there in Gun Cyberspace thinks that all I have ever done is have my picture taken "with" the products that I sell. This gentleman has also commented that I do not actually DO the work. Comments continue that having your picture taken with kits is no big deal.

His ignorance is his bliss.

Thanks,

Bob

PS,..Rather than running your gums and spouting seriously flawed second hand information about "little old Bob",...spend the time lookig for the DISC that belongs on your grips! That thing is a poor example at best. A mere shooter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the FALs......

Picture, Imbel FAL parts set, "Generic" :wink:

STEP 1 ... We sort the kits and the "confirm" that all serial numbers are MATCHING!

STEP 2 ... EVERY BORE is stainless brushed with Hoppie's #9 solvent and allowed to soak!

STEP 3 ... EVERY BORE is then dry patched, inspected, cleaned and washed AGAIN in the parts washer using solvents!

STEP 4 ... One more dry patch inspection then on to GRADING!

STEP 5 ... Full kit inspection upon packaging!

Please, ... PAY NO ATTENTION, ... to those AK parts!

STEP 6 ... Ready for assignment to the FAL Files MEMBER and vendor orders!

A FEW Bipod cut,...

... and a FEW that are Plain!

I am BURIED!

#5 ·
Cool pics. I wish I had a all matching kit like the ones posted. Are any still available? Email me if so!

Like others, I'm not looking for the cheapest build, just an affordable one. And with kit prices over $200, and climbing, and receivers in the $300 range. Then extra for headspacing, and other issues, the cost to build one of these keeps going up. I'm still on the fence, to do this or not. Unless an affordable kit is found, this is starting to look like a no-go for me.

Thanks for your feedback.

#7 ·
Get a kit now.
As the kits continue to dry up, the prices will naturally continue to rise.
Prices on receivers on the other hand should remain stable or even go down as availability goes up and demand goes down.
Right now the receivers are a hot commodity due to everybody jumping on the $149 kits.

#9 ·
The Imbels still show up on gunbroker frequently, but have been going for $450+
I got lucky and scored one for $370. There were several people in a bidding war for the 5 that TDW had listed, all ended up going in the $450 range. While the one I was bidding on from Colorado guns, just sorta fell through the cracks.

DSA has them and Nodak is cranking them out, but has a huge backlog. Word on the Falfiles is that the latest generation Century receivers aren't all that bad, but still require some tweaking.
I still have another kit to build, but I'm going to wait until the frenzy dies down.

#14 ·
I do not have personal experience with all these receivers, I'm just relaying what I was able to find on the FAL files. From the general consensus over there, they rate this way.

1) Imbel
2) DSA
3) Nodakspud/DCI/Coonan
4) Enterprise
5) Century

The DSA and Nodak seem to rate very close to one another and some folks would reverse those to positions on the list.

#15 ·
7.62x39 said:
I do not have personal experience with all these receivers, I'm just relaying what I was able to find on the FAL files. From the general consensus over there, they rate this way.

1) Imbel
2) DSA
3) Nodakspud/DCI/Coonan
4) Enterprise
5) Century

The DSA and Nodak seem to rate very close to one another and some folks would reverse those to positions on the list.
You have to remember the Imbel is not a compliance part...
I have 2 Entreprise receiver builds, no problem out of them at all.
This was when G1 kits were $99 and Entreprise 03 rec. were $165, gone are those days...

#16 ·
7.62x39 said:

1) Imbel
2) DSA
3) Nodakspud/DCI/Coonan
4) Enterprise
5) Century

In my opinion based on years as a FAList, years as a FAL vendor, and just a FAL builder and shooter....

1) Imbel (real deal)
1) DSA ( ...as good as it gets,..and AMERICAN)

Wait for #1.

;)

PS,..a CAST RECEIVER in MY RIFLE?......RIGHT!

(As ugly as it is,..I still LIKE my FACE.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.