Gunco Forums banner

hotbarrel's receiver wrench

17K views 134 replies 33 participants last post by  FloridaAKM 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This thread is a continuation of this thread.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32883

Who's interested?
7.62x39

is this the tool made from 2 pieces of flat stock milled out to the profile
I think a neibor of mine has one I can easy copy . do you have any pic just to be shure..

#9 ·
WOW I did not expect this much responce!!!
well our good friend bassettjm has kindly offered to send me one to work from. this will give me the odd shaped pattern to cut for the barrel, as for the attached handle or square drive, I dont realy care what we go with.
I am not realy supposed to be on the net today, SO if you are on the thread here when I come back I will call that good. HOWEVER I will start a new thread when I get time in a couple days. I will post all info here so nobody will get lost in the transaction.
it looks like it is made from aluminum. dose anyone know what grade? if not I will get the best grade available to me.
if anyone else wants to get in line for a tentitive buy fel free to post in this thread till I start the new one.
as allways thanks for the intrest. HB

#10 ·
HB,

That home brew drawing is the only place I've ever seen one made from aluminum. All the "real" ones are made from .500 steel plate.
I'd rather have steel if that's an option. Aluminum would probably work OK, But I'm concerned that it might loosen up over time, since it only actually holds the receiver in 4 small spots.

#13 ·
762.X39
yes the one I saw was steel too. I am very fine with that.
I can get that localy. I have sent my address to bassettjm so we can get started with this. this looks like a fun project.

#17 ·
I've seen those, they seem to be a nice setup and ol' hot rat is a very respected member over there.
But I like throwing challenges at my buddy HB, son of a gun, always comes through.:thumbup1:
He's been champing at the bit for a chance to fire up his bridgeport.

#18 ·
7.62x39 said:
He's been champing at the bit for a chance to fire up his bridgeport.
yes that is correct I am very excyted to run tha machine some. I just ordered a new V.F.D. for it and cant wate to get to "play" some.

I saw a two piece set in an old shotgun news. it was the clamp as described above, along with a second wrench like tool. I would like to offer both as a set because it looks like you will need both.... oppinions please....
the set I saw would clamp the split tool in a vise then you use the wrench to turn the barrel. this seems OK with me. BUT I will do whatever you guys decide you want.

I did click on the link above but I got a "blocked" page so I could not see the actual tool their. I have now seen a number of differant styl tools so I am not compeating with anyone. I will build my - our tools with the features I - we decide will work best. hopefully a hybred of all the best features togeather in one set.

can anyone give me an EXACT dimention of the flats accross the barrel and how wide they are so I can figure an exact cut width, and how thich stock, for the inside of the jaws for the barrel wrench. thanks

I can not state an exact price yet BUT I can assure you a hotbarrel price will be well UNDER $117!! well under!!

any pics, suggestions feedback is welcome now in the planning stage! thanks again HB

#19 ·
#21 ·
hotbarrel said:
I saw a two piece set in an old shotgun news. it was the clamp as described above, along with a second wrench like tool. I would like to offer both as a set because it looks like you will need both.... oppinions please....
the set I saw would clamp the split tool in a vise then you use the wrench to turn the barrel. this seems OK with me. BUT I will do whatever you guys decide you want.

can anyone give me an EXACT dimention of the flats accross the barrel and how wide they are so I can figure an exact cut width, and how thich stock, for the inside of the jaws for the barrel wrench. thanks
The barrel flats are 27mm.
I've got pics of the tools from SGN.

Attachments

#25 ·
yes the two part article in Shotgun news is decent, but the tutorials at FAL files are more indepth, by experts who do this everyday.

as included above and found on numerous websites are the plans to make both the vise and clamp these are not hard to make on your own

I went with the rat man because I am building up a 70% receiver by hand so I don't have time make the jigs. pictures to come! The only jig to be used will be the thread aligning jig for the chamber and gas piston area

Please read the unfinished receiver thread below this one. I am building a receiver by hand. I am not assembling a imbel or dsa etc pre-made/FFL receivers(nothing complicated here)

regardless who's tools you use be safe and good luck "ASSEMBLING" your kits

sprat

#26 ·
7.62x39 YES! that is what I saw in hand, and in the S.G.N. that is what I had in mind. in this method you put the jig on the reciever and them hold the jig in a vise. then clamp the other tool onto the barrel and turn it.
the one advantage I see with this, is the barrel is held tight on the flats.
I have no pre set decision on what method to go with yet. however I personaly feel the one in the pics above would be a lot cheaper to make and get to you guys. it seems as they both work fine.
I will leave it up to you guys, what typ tools do you want. the one sprat has posted or the one 762 has posted.

sprat , thanks for your first hand info!! and directions for detailed kit build instructions. I want to ask, are you aware of any functional reason against turning the barrel?
my only intrest here is to get a quality functioning tool in the hands of members at the BEST possable price.
thanks again for all your info.

I have found a local friend with a kit I can borrow as long as I need so i will have everything in hand to assure fit soon!!!

I hope to decide what styl to go with tomorrow. so we can get started soon. thies things take enough time as it is.

soon as we decide what typ I will start a name list , in order of the names requesting in this thread.

thanks for everyones intrest. thies things are a lot of fun for me, and I hope they are fun for you too. ware else do you get to see discussion turn to ideas followed up by plans, prints then working to actual parts in hand. how can this not be fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.