Gunco Forums banner

9mm Thompson Clone

22K views 66 replies 26 participants last post by  Chiroone 
#1 ·
Had a few vac days left so I started a project that has been forming in my mind the last month or so. This project uses a Soumi barrel and a PPS43 bolt which I am modifing using pirates FP sleeve and an AR15 firing pin. Fire control group will also be AR15. Here it is mocked up. It will use Suomi drums or stick mags.

The receiver uses a round tube mounted inside a square tube. The magwell is on of Roger's 2xtm magwells. (My last one.) We need to support Roger in this venture and commit to some more magwells where he will do another run.

This photo shows the relationship of the magwell feed ramp to the barrel. It feeds both drums and mags flawlessly.

The barrel is a 12" Soumi that I turned the end down and made an extension for. The extension was Mig welded to the barrel and turned to final dimension on the lathe. Compensater was turned on the lathe and pressed on the barrel extension. It will be ported at a later date. The front trunnion was turned on the lathe and welded to the barrel.

I will continue to post pics as I get this one finished. All comments welcomed. ( I really need to get back on the MG47 beltfed.)

See less See more
#3 ·
That's nice, I really like that. I bet it has the weight of a tommy too :D
The furniture is tommy right? Is it expensive to get? What sights did you use? What about the lower receiver, what is that made from?

#5 ·
Cool Suomi sights, that help keep the cost down. Yeah I noticed the round tube in the square tube, 1 1/2" square tube thanks.
What about the lower where the trigger group, trigger gaurd and pistol grip mount to?

#7 ·
That look great, I had been thinking about doing a thompson build for a while but pretty much lost interest in it last year when I bought a detachable stock Kahr version. This has got me thinking again about a .22 version.

#46 ·
Hi Moleman,

Would you share your thoughts on Kahr Arms? Looking for your impression of quality, reliability, fit, finish, etc. Would you buy from them again? I am interested in their M1 Carbine, but I keep looking at the Thompson with a longing in my heart!

#8 ·
not bad at all bub...great concept.

now if you could have got that to work in a 45 you would really be cooking with gas...

#11 ·
yes you do but lets look at the one you got more..

so staying with the 9mm and a soumi drum...

this gives you the m1a1 set up, you got any ideas on the 28 style??

#12 ·
yes you do but lets look at the one you got more..

so staying with the 9mm and a soumi drum...

this gives you the m1a1 set up, you got any ideas on the 28 style??
You would have to move the charging handle to the top and make a finned barrel shroud. Ive been working off of photos as it has been several years since I handled the real thing.

#14 ·
Im going to rework the trigger design after looking at the build going on at weaponeer. I am going to use 1" sq steel tubing and 1/2"x1 1/2" aluminum flat to construct a closer looking trigger group. I got the rough drawings done tonite and ordered the metal from speedy metals. The trigger guard and grip mount will be machined from the aluminum which will in turn be bolted to the 1" sq tubing which will house the hammer, sear, and trigger assy.

#26 ·
VERY NICE!!!

the OD green really sets it off for you and as i mentioned before the drum is really the kicker on the gun. great going!!

im gonna save this in case i want to try and copy it, if you dont mind..

#27 ·
Feel free to copy. Since I took the last photos I lowered the ejection port about another 1/4" to givr the empties a little more room to get OUT.Im also going to replace the rear cap screws with something larger as I am getting a little peening at the screw holes. I also replaced the derlin spacer with a rubber 1 to soften the bolt hitting the rear cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.