Gunco Forums banner

MG34 semi auto range test

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MCP 
#1 ·
I finished this build a few months ago and wasn't able to test it till last wek. I had problems with it cycling fully. There were a couple of tight spots in the receiver that needed a little more attention. after getting the bolt to run smooth I took it out today and ran a couple hundred rounds through it. it runs romanian surplus fine but has problems with the 50's yugo ammo. the primer hits look good but there are a lot of misfires with it

here is a video: mg34video

now I need to tear it down and park the receiver.

#2 ·
Stan -- that looks wonderful!!!

I'm floored by your abilities to get rewelds to work so well. Did you use the same set up as the '42 to hold the pieces in place?

Was it more difficult than the '42? Was it tougher working with the milled receiver?

Edit -- Sorry for my failure to check the rest of your site for answers -- I now see what you've done but am even more amazed at the result!

#3 ·
it was a lot of work, but easier than the 42 as the conversion part was already figured out and I used TNW's semi parts. the jig I made to do the reweld held the parts perfectly aligned and there was no warping or distortion. it took several hours to get the bolt to run smooth, but the rest was pretty easy.

here is a link to the tutorial: mg 34 receiver tutorial

#6 ·
pirate56,
You always make the tutorials look so easy. If you have the right tools and patience, that's half the battle. I did not want to make this my first welding project, so I had the receiver done by someone who knows their way around a welder.

Thank you for providing a great tutorial!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.