Gunco Forums banner

War with Iran

255K views 1K replies 157 participants last post by  MUSIBIKE 
#1 ·
What do you all think the probability is that we will have a REAL confrontation with IRAN? Would it happen this year? Will RUSSIA and the rest of the middle East join in? Will the South American countries get in on the deal?

MUSIBIKE

#577 ·
Iranians who are able to flee their country are doing so, fearing an Israeli attack, Voice of Israel state radio reported Sunday. Iranian business people who hold dual citizenship with passports from European nations are allegedly leaving in droves.

They apparently fear that Israel is preparing to attack Iran's nuclear facilities to eliminate President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's oft-repeated threat to annihilate the Jewish State.

In a radio interview, a Palestinian Authority business owner with strong ties in Iran reported that many Iranians fear a “major attack” by Israel that would cause “terrible damage,” especially in Tehran. The source had returned to Israel over the weekend after spending some time in Iran.

On Saturday, an explosion at an Iranian Revolutionary Guards depot near Tehran killed at least 17 soldiers, with some reports claiming that up to 27 people were killed, and two locations were involved. The cause of the explosion is not clear.

#579 ·
I will not say when air strikes will happen. I just believe the strikes will happen at some point in the near future..

#584 ·
30,000-Pound Bunker Buster Bomb Now Ready For Action Against Iran

Bloomberg - Business & Financial News, Breaking News Headlines

The U.S. Air Force has taken delivery of a new 30,000-pound bomb from Boeing Co. (BA) that’s capable of penetrating deeply buried enemy targets.

The huge bunker buster, dubbed the Massive Ordnance Penetrator, is built to fit the B-2 stealth bomber. The Air Force Global Strike Command started receiving the bombs in September, Air Force spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Jack Miller said in a short statement to Bloomberg News.

The deliveries “will meet requirements for the current operational need,” he said.

The Air Force in 2009 said Boeing might build as many as 16 of the munitions. Miller yesterday had no details on how many the Air Force plans to buy. Boeing in August received a $32 million contract that included eight of the munitions.

Command head Lieutenant General James Kowalski told the annual Air Force Association conference in September the command “completed integration” of the bunker-buster bomb with the B- 2, “giving the war-fighter increased capability against hardened and deeply buried targets.”

The bomb is the U.S. military’s largest conventional penetrator. It’s six times bigger than the 5,000-pound bunker buster that the Air Force now uses to attack deeply buried nuclear, biological or chemical sites.

Chicago-based Boeing is manufacturing the bomb, which was successfully demonstrated in March 2007.

Iranian Bunkers
The B-2, developed by Falls Church, Virginia-based Northrop Grumman Corp. (NOC), has a shape and skin capable of evading radar. It’s the only U.S. bomber designed to penetrate air defenses such as those believed in use by North Korea and Iran. It’s also the only aircraft currently capable of carrying the new bomb.

The B-2 has bombed targets in the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. Three in March flew round-trip, non-stop missions from Missouri to Libya in the opening hours of U.S. air strikes, dropping 45 bombs.

Little authoritative information has been published about the capability of the Massive Ordnance Penetrator. A December 2007 story by the Air Force News Service said it has a hardened- steel casing and can reach targets as far down as 200 feet underground before exploding.

The new, 20.5-foot-long bomb carries more than 5,300 pounds of explosives and is guided by Global Positioning System satellites, according to a description on the Web site of the Pentagon’s Defense Threat Reduction Agency.

The Pentagon in July 2009 formally asked Congress to shift funds in order to accelerate by three years fielding the weapon.

‘Operational Need’
Pentagon Comptroller Robert Hale, in his July 8, 2009, request, said there was “an urgent operational need for the capability to strike hard and deeply buried targets in high- threat environments,” and top commanders of U.S. forces in Asia and the Middle East “recently identified the need to expedite” the bomb program.

The United Nations’ International Atomic Energy Agency last week reported Iran was trying to develop an atomic bomb to fit on a missile capable of hitting Israel.

Iran’s suspected nuclear weapons facilities are dispersed over a broad area 1,000 miles (1,609 kilometers) and multiple countries to the east of Tel Aviv. Some are underground. Iran has repeatedly asserted that its nuclear program is for peaceful civilian goals, such as power generation.

Iran is following the lead of China and Russia in protecting its Natanz and Qom nuclear facilities by moving them underground, the Defense Intelligence Agency director, Lieutenant General Ronald Burgess, told a Senate panel in February.

Hardened Facilities
“Buried, hardened facilities and improved air defenses are key elements of Iran’s extensive program to protect its nuclear infrastructure from destruction,” Burgess said.

“The spread of western tunneling technology and equipment is contributing to a rise in construction by countries and organizations that have not previously used modern techniques,” he said.

Authorities in Tehran announced recently that they’re moving some uranium enrichment from a more vulnerable site at Natanz to a location at Qom that is 90 meters (295 feet) under rock, said David Albright, who is founder and president of the Institute for Science and International Security in Washington.

#592 ·
een watching this thread for quite a while...I think things may continue as is for a while longer. With all the various 'active measures' within Iran being pulicized recently (Stuxnet virus, numerous nuc. scientists assassinations, mysterious facility explosions/sabotage) it seems to me that Israel is doing this the cold war way. See: Iran: The Secret War
That way their is much more FUD(fear, uncertainty, doubt) about who and how, thus no real smoking gun that says they are definitely involved and no public opinion fallout in the world media...

I'd venture that we are involved too up to our elbows in the covert stuff...i.e. our 'losing' a stealth drone in Iran last week. Oops... No doubt there are black ops going on all around the various borders to sniff out weaknesses/pre-targeting intel stuff.

The key thing is whether the head-honchos at the various three letter agencies and Mossad agree that th nuke development is really at a particular stage or not. We all know we got it wrong big-time in Iraq. I'd verture that we may have some assets inside Iran, but whether they can access the state of the nuke program is another thing all together. To wrap up: Vegas odds on a US vs Iran war in the next 5-6 months -> 3:2 (was 10 to one previously) Unconfirmedsources.com
My odds that Israel attacks Iranian nuke sites within next 6 months -> 8:1

#594 ·
I'm going to put on my Tin Foil hat and propose that a certain presidential candidate will make sure nothing happens unless he a sure loser, then for the good of the country our elections will be postponed, and I'll leave it up to your imagination what will happen. Its just one scenario that I hope that doesn't happen.:hatprop:

#599 ·
Hmmm...well Israel is heating things up so it seems:
"A senior Israeli cabinet minister on Monday said Iran must be forced to face an existential question over its nuclear drive: choose between getting an atomic bomb, or survival."
Iran must chose between a bomb or survival: Israel

I'd say that is a pretty strong hint from them.

I looked at that neat map link Musi: If Israel does a strike, they need to cross either Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria or Turkey...then Iraq to get to the target. While privtely Saudi govt. would be in favor of them doing it, they will not allow it openly. We might be able to strong-arm them into not noticing if need be, but with the craziness going on in Syria now I'd bet that the IAF is mapping out where things are breaking down now in Syria with their forces too busy handling internal unrest. What do you guys think..?

#600 ·
I think... that we are seeing the next level of escalation in the Iranian mess. That next level includes covert sabotage of strategic military assets such as long range missiles and nuke resources. That puts the ball in the Iranian court.

The greatest challenge that the west faces is incompetant intel. Without quality intel data it is the same old blind, elephantine routine. Israeli air strike(s) are out due to range over hostile islamic territory. That doesn't rule out ICBMS on Iran.

If you look over a map of the AO you'll see that Iran and Syria are only about 130 miles apart through the mountains (not a cool place to hike). Iran supplies Hamas terrorists with materiel through Syria. Hamas and its' fellow terror groups then shoot the stuff at Israel routinely.

The short term solution is to cut Syria out of the supply linkage. The next issue is ending the current leadership in Iran for keeps. We may see these strategic issues addressed during the US Presidential change in 2012.

We are living in interesting times.

VD

#601 ·
I have no doubt that a strike on Iran by Israel will take place within weeks to months.
We lost a very high tech Drone because we are looking at targets in Iran and then sharing that info with Israel. That tells us that war is close indeed. I by no means want war again, but I believe there is no other option. War will happen. Keep watching the news.
It's only a matter of time. May God be with Israel and the USA.

#603 ·
I have no doubt that a strike on Iran by Israel will take place within weeks to months.
We lost a very high tech Drone because we are looking at targets in Iran and then sharing that info with Israel. That tells us that war is close indeed. I by no means want war again, but I believe there is no other option. War will happen. Keep watching the news.
It's only a matter of time. May God be with Israel and the USA.

I see it too brother. It may be the only way for Iran to sit down and shut-up for a change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.