Gunco Forums banner

Talkin' to America: When is the Right Time to Shoot in Self-Defense?

10K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  HHollow 
#1 ·
When is the Right Time to Shoot in Self Defense? - An interview with author Chuck Klein

More...

#4 ·
I've always been told to shoot only when "...my life or the lives of those around me are in imminent danger..."
draw your weapon
take two or three steps AWAY from the attacker(so that in court, you cannot be made to out to be the aggressor)
order the assailant to stand down
If the assailant does anything (run at you, point the weapon at you or others)
SHOOT.

#7 ·
In Texas, we DO NOT have to step back anymore. Once a DEADLY WEAPON is pulled out upon you here, you have the right to SHOOT!

But, if you are in a situation where there are weapons walking around you and other innocent folks, DO NOT pull a gun and start shooting!!!! If they are robbing you let them have the money. It is NOT worth getting killed over that.

But, if they start shooting and are about to do you harm, there is no holding back then. YOU HAVE TO AT LEAST TRY AND DEFEND YOURSELF.

NEVER pull out a gun unless your life is in danger. And, there is NO OTHER way to escape. NEVER try to be the hero!!!! It is not worth getting you and or others killed!!!!

#8 ·
Unless you have eyes in the back of your head stepping backward is never a good idea. sideways shuffle maybe, turn sideways and walk where you can see where you are going maybe but facing the threat with both of your feet under you and maintain your balance is the only sure way you can respond effectively. Fist fight, knife fight or gun fight it doesn't make any difference. If you can't take cover and you can't out run the threat then face it.

#9 ·
"The thief comes to steal, kill and destroy".

I'm not a mind reader, no telling what somebody is capable of.

Before I went to Iraq people would say "if you get in that situation you're going to have to make a choice".

Bull Crap.

Once in Iraq, and put in that situation there was no choice at all. It was "holy crap", bang bang, no choice or mental deliberation involved. Target up, target down.

#10 ·
At my conceal/carry class, the instructor told us to memorize this phrase: "I was afraid for my safety and the safety of those around me." You bet I would draw and use my weapon if I felt this way. The key word is "safety". Doesn't just apply to the threat of dying. Sure the nut job with the knife/gun/tire iron etc. might not kill you or your family, he might just rape and beat your wife, kidnap your kids and do God knows what.

This is why my Dad always told me and my sister if we were being kidnapped to kick, scream and fight even if they were threatening to kill us, cuz they probably would anyway after doing worse.

As far as backing away, I'm clumsy enough just trying to walk forward. Might buy you a little time and a little distance, might just give the real aggressor the extra seconds they need to have the upper hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.